Today we announced the Windows Live Messenger IM Control & Presence API availability in production – get it now for your blog or website – great way to connect with customers!
- Messenger IM Control allows a user to publish their presence and receive messages via the web from anonymous users without Messenger client installed via a control they can place on any website, the messages received are surfaced within the Messenger Client.
- The Presence API is a JSON API which returns the publishing user’s status & display name.
The Windows Live™ Messenger IM Control lets people on the Web reach you in Messenger by showing your Messenger status on your web site, blog, or social networking profile. The Windows Live™ Messenger IM Control runs in the browser and lets site visitors message you without installing Messenger first. The IM Control is supported in IE6, IE7, and Firefox 2.0 on Windows and Firefox 2.0 on Mac OS. The IM Control is supported in 32 languages.
To use the IM Control:
1. Go to http://settings.messenger.live.com/applications/websettings.aspx. Sign in with your Windows Live ID as needed.
2. Turn on your Web settings to show your presence and receive IM from the Web. Note that if you turn on Web settings, anybody on the Web can see your presence and send you IM messages.
3. Pick a way to show your presence.
4. Copy the HTML from the page and post it on your Web site.
5. When a visitor comes to you page, they can click on “Begin a conversation” to start sending you IM.