A few days ago I ran into an issue while trying to customize the Quick Access Toolbar(QAT) for a Item Type in Outlook. I was able to customize the QAT but then I realized that I had lost the ability to customize the QAT for other Item Types(Contacts, Appointments etc.).
I customized the QAT for the RibbonID “Microsoft.Outlook.Mail.Read”, below is the Ribbon XML that I used:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?><customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui" onLoad="Ribbon_OnLoad"> <ribbon startFromScratch="true"> <qat> </qat> </ribbon></customUI>
I had just customized the Ribbon for the RibbonID “Microsoft.Outlook.Mail.Read”, why should that have any effect on the QAT for a Contact? Bug?
This is another issue that I bumped into when startFromScratch is set to true. What I wanted to do was to show/hide tabs based on Message Class. If my Message Class was IPM.Note.Custom then I wanted to just show the “My Tab” otherwise I wanted to show the “TabReadMessage”.
Why did I set the startFromScratch to true? I had to customize the Quick Access Toolbar(QAT) also. Below is what my Ribbon XML looks like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?><customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui"> <ribbon startFromScratch="true"> <tabs> <tab id="MyTab" label="My Tab" getVisible="MyTab_OnGetVisible"> </tab> <tab idMso="TabReadMessage" getVisible="TabReadMessage_OnGetVisible"> </tab> </tabs> </ribbon></customUI>
From what I know this bug has been fixed in Office 14 and a fix for Office 12 has been requested for.
My customer had written a VSTO 3.0 add-in but could not publish(ClickOnce) it directly as he did not have access to the production environment. Further more there was a need to change a setting in the config file. He create a Web Setup project to deploy all the file and also altered the config file using a custom action in the setup project.
Changing the config file invalidated the hash and now the application and deployment manifest for the add-in had to be resigned. In case you have never done it before, below are links to a very good blog post and a Channel9 video on how to re-sign the VSTO 3.0 manifests using MAGE.
Re-signing ClickOnce Application and Deployment Manifests with MAGE http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/funkyonex/Resigning-ClickOnce-Application-and-Deployment-Manifests-with-MAGE/ Signing and re-signing manifests in ClickOnce http://blogs.msdn.com/vsto/archive/2009/04/29/signing-and-re-signing-manifests-in-clickonce.aspx