New Web Design Curriculum Released

Computer Science Teacher
Computer Science Teacher - Thoughts and Information from Alfred Thompson

New Web Design Curriculum Released

  • Comments 2

Are you looking for ways to engage your students in 21st century learning? Would you like to generate enthusiasm and excitement about using technology in your classroom on a daily basis? Are your students interested in developing skills they can employ immediately for fun and for profit? Would you like to provide your students with opportunities to work on complex projects in teams? After teaching computer science for more than twenty years, I am pleased to be a guest writer on Alfred Thompson’s blog. He is a knowledgeable, dedicated and insightful colleague. My goal for this blog today is to inform you about new teaching and learning materials that are now available (in beta form) at no charge.

I am excited to announce the creation of Introduction to Web Design Using Microsoft Expression, a one semester curriculum unit, released just in time for the start of the new school year. The curriculum, written by a team of eight outstanding classroom teachers from across the country, provides an extensive collection of unique teaching materials that thoroughly span Web Design knowledge and skills and promote meaningful, real-world learning experiences. Students will engage in authentic learning experiences and design modern Web sites with the same tools that professional Web designers currently use. I can guarantee that this curriculum is unique because it represents the best thinking of a team of talented educators – all of whom have taught multiple subjects for many years. We have synthesized the creativity of web design, computer science, media arts, math, fine arts, science, business education and home economics teachers.

By providing students with opportunities to be creators, rather than only consumers, of technology, Microsoft aims to motivate the next generation to explore and develop their talents. Many students who would be intimidated by a programming class enter the technology pipeline via web design, gaming or robotics. The content in this web design curriculum is appropriate for secondary students and non-technical community college and university students. In order to make your life as a busy educator a little easier, we have based the detailed lesson plans, tutorials, presentations, student projects, and assessment rubrics upon the ISTE's National Educational Technology Standards (NETS) and 21st Century Skills.

The first 4 of the 8 learning modules are available for you to download right now at Microsoft’s Pre-Collegiate Faculty Connection. The remaining 4 modules will be available September 15.

  • Module 1: HTML Basics 2 weeks

Module 1 introduces basic HTML tags and cascading style sheets (CSS) through projects designed to experiment with page design and introduces the concepts of Web standards and accessibility.

  • Module 2: The History and the Future of the Web 1 week

Module 2 explores the past and future of Web technologies and the structure of the Web. The rights and responsibilities surrounding intellectual property rights in an electronic world are emphasized.

  • Module 3: Designing for Communication 2 weeks

Module 3 explores human communication and the unique challenges that electronic modes of communication present for effective transmission of ideas.

  • Module 4: Working with Images 3 weeks

Module 4 uses Microsoft Expression Design to create images. Image concepts related to scanning, digital photography, and image manipulation techniques are included.

  • Module 5: Beyond the Basics with Expression Web 2 weeks

Module 5 introduces the Expression Web environment and provides tutorials to guide them in creating a Web site.

  • Module 6: The Design Process 3 weeks

Module 6 explores Web technology careers and simulates the design planning process of Web design professionals. Team collaboration and customer interactions are emphasized.

  • Module 7 The Production Process 3 weeks

Module 7 guides students in the production of the Web site that was planned and designed in Module 6.

  • Module 8 Web Publishing and Maintenance 2 weeks

Module 8 establishes processes and techniques for selecting hosting services, evaluating the effectiveness and usability of Web sites, and providing maintenance over time.

This curriculum project represents an expansion of a short Expression Web curriculum unit and tutorial that we developed for United States high schools in the fall of 2007. The need for additional and more extensive web design teaching/learning materials was identified by feedback we received from teachers who participated in our 2 pilot projects in the fall of 2007 and spring of 2008. The following information may be of interest to you and your students:

  • 75% of for United States high schools offer a Web Design/Development class (2007)
  • 71% of the educators involved in the Expression Web tutorial pilot reported that it was a valuable teaching tool and they would use it again. The remaining 29% strongly agreed with that statement, yielding a full 100% accord amongst pilot educators that the Expression Web tutorial was a valuable and useful teaching resource.
  • 64% of students reported that, after participating in the Expression Web tutorial, they would like to build another Web site.
  • 57% of US teens report that they create content for the Internet

The curriculum is currently in beta version and is being taught by educators in the US and several countries through a pilot program. Schools participating in the pilot program receive a free subscription to MSDN AA for High School that provides the Expression software needed to teach the curriculum.

Expression Web is Microsoft’s most recent Web design and development software. It replaces FrontPage and gives your students the tools they need to create high quality, standards-based web sites that meet today’s standards with sophisticated CSS-based layout and formatting. There are many additional resources for learning Expression Web and Design. Learn Microsoft Expression offers training for both Expression Web and Expression Design with tutorials, videos and quick start guides. These are great for teacher preparations as well as valuable tools for teaching in the classroom.

We hope you and your students will enjoy this new set of teaching and learning materials! The 30 high school girls that participated in Microsoft’s “Digigirlz” technology camp last week at Microsoft’s headquarters in Redmond, Washington were able to learn how to use the software and build simple web sites in less than four hours. The girls voted to have a web site design competition and created some truly amazing sites. Students who have a “service learning” or “community service” requirement at their high school have reported that they completed this assignment by building a web site for a local non-profit organization in their community. We trust this curriculum will help you provide students with useful opportunities to engage in creating in and out of classroom experiences that you want.

We would love to hear from you! If you are interested in learning more about joining our team of teachers who are piloting the curriculum or want to let us know about interesting projects your students are working on, please contact me.

Pat Phillips, Director
Web Design Pilot Programs

v-paphil@microsoft.com

 
EDIT: Some links below:

·         Your Learning Guide to Expression Web Tutorial

·         Expression Web Curriculum

·         Introduction to Web Design Using Microsoft® Expression® (Beta)

·         Introduction to Web Design Using Microsoft® Expression® (Beta), Module 1 HTML Basics

·         Introduction to Web Design Using Microsoft® Expression® (Beta), Module 2 History and Future of the Web

·         Introduction to Web Design Using Microsoft® Expression® (Beta), Module 3 Designing for Communication

·         Introduction to Web Design Using Microsoft® Expression® (Beta), Module 4 Working with Images

  • Thanks for the post.  I'm looking to bring our school up to speed with the Computer Science and Technology program.  Could you link the reference to the statistics posted:

    "    * 75% of for United States high schools offer a Web Design/Development class (2007)

       * 71% of the educators involved in the Expression Web tutorial pilot reported that it was a valuable teaching tool and they would use it again. The remaining 29% strongly agreed with that statement, yielding a full 100% accord amongst pilot educators that the Expression Web tutorial was a valuable and useful teaching resource.

       * 64% of students reported that, after participating in the Expression Web tutorial, they would like to build another Web site.

       * 57% of US teens report that they create content for the Internet"

    Also, these facts seem very telling to a educational program what the current trends are for Computer Science programs nationwide.  Are you aware of any additional facts/figures/research that can be linked which demonstrate these trends?

    Thanks!

    Bo

  • This is exactly the kind of industry + educator collaboration that can have a huge impact in improving technology education in our schools.  Congratulations and THANK YOU for all of your efforts!!  I'm downloading this today to get familiar with it.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)