Just for fun and because I am old[ish]. But more seriously, because people should know the history of computer science and the computer industry so as not to repeat mistakes.
11. You did not know Gandalf was not only a wizard in Lord of the Rings.
12. The facts that floppies used to flop and hard drive disks used to be removable are surprises.
13. That it was possible to plug the phone handset in to the acoustic coupler up side down makes absolutely no sense.
14. You do not know why you should not just throw your punch cards in your back pack.
It's funny to think of more. What about these:
15. If asked what was the first operating system for PCs only Windows comes to your mind, DOS is a vaguely remembered word and CP/M sounds to you like a planning method.
16. For you computers have always had graphical displays and mice.
17. Dumb terminal is a phrase you could use to insult a non-functional ATM.
On the contrary, if you know all these things that most others don't know, doesn't it mean that you're quite OLD? No offense guys, but I've been in the industry for around 8yrs and I din't know some of these. Doesn't make me a newbie / n00b now does it?
8 years? Yeah, makes you a newbie. Not that there is anything wrong with being a newbie unless you don't try to learn the history.
I am not old, I have just been doing this for a long time.