Recently, we have a casethat BizTalk BPA (Best Practices Analyzer) has connection issue. This BPA isthe old version 188.8.131.52.
In one domain environment,BizTalk Server 2006 is installed on one machine and SQL Server 2005 isinstalled on another machine. Create a new instance (e.g. Domain\Testinstance)on SQL Server and configure BizTalk Server onto the created SQL Server instance.
When starting a scan fromBPA UI console on the BizTalk Box, the scan will finish but the report tellsthat the scan is not successful. The error is:
“Unableto Perform Best Practices Analyzing Because the Analyzer could not connect toBizTalk Management Database"
Then looking into the datafile, by default, the data file in folder
“C:\Documents and Settings\username\ApplicationData\Microsoft\BizTalkBPA”
There is the error in thedata file:
"Anerror has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. Whenconnecting to SQL server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact thatunder the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQLServer”
To solve the issue, upgradeBPA to the newest version 184.108.40.206
Since currently, there is nosingle update patch for BPA, the only way to upgrade is from the UI interface.For those BPA running on a no internet access environment, please refer to thefollowing manually update steps:
1. Find one machine that can access internet,install and upgrade BPA to 220.127.116.11
2. Go to BizTalkBPA installation folder, copythe next 2 files from ‘En’ subfolder
3. Go to BizTalkBPA installation folder, copythe next 2 files
4. Transfer these 4 files to the targetmachine that BPA installed but no internet access.
5. Go to BizTalkBPA installation folder, andbackup the ‘En’ folder.
6. Before update to newest version, in subfolder ‘En’, you can see there are two files.
Rename thesetwo files to BizTalkBPA.chm.18.104.22.168 and BizTalkBPA.config.xml.22.214.171.124
7. Copy the following two files to ‘En’ sub folder.
8. Copy the following two files to BPAinstallation folder.
9. After that, you can start a scan to seewhether the report is generated correctly.
**Note** This way is not theofficial way to update BPA, it can work, but we still recommend that you useinternet to update BPA directly.