Thoughts about setup and deployment issues, WiX, XNA, the .NET Framework and Visual Studio
All postings are provided AS IS
with no warranties, and confer no rights. Additionally, views expressed
herein are my own and not those of my employer, Microsoft.
We recently released Update Rollup 1 for eHome Infrared Receivers for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. There are some fixes in this package that may cause your Media Center remote control to stop working. Specifically, we previously allowed channels 1-8 to broadcast IR signals on, and with this package installed the remote is limited to channels 1-4. If your remote is broadcasting on channels 5-8, here is what you can do to change to a channel in the 1-4 range to allow it to start working again:
I recently got a AverMedia VolarHD USB tuner card. I added it and it worked great as a second tuner. However, when ever I would resume from a suspend, it would give me a video card error. So I tried upgrading the nvidia drivers. For some reason, it kept booting into VGA mode, so I system restored back and removed the usb tuner. After the system restore, the remote no longer works after resuming from suspend. The strange thing is, the power button of the remote is able to wake and suspend the computer, but no other buttons work. Unplugging and replugging the ehome Infrared receiver restores it, but that's not a viable solution. Any ideas why the remote keys except for the power button works? Also, any ideas about the video card error after the tuner install? Been pounding my head for a few days now. Thanks
Hi Quang777 - I'm sorry, but I don't have much experience with troubleshooting sleep/resume issues such as this. The workarounds I know of for remote control issues are listed in the Remote Control and IR Receiver Issues section of the article at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/487537.aspx. However, none of those issues specifically address problems that only occur after waking from sleep.
I'd suggest posting a question at one of the following locations to see if anyone there can help suggest any additional workarounds:
For the video card issue, do you see this error from the OS itself or only within Media Center? I typically suggest trying to update the drivers on the system, but it sounds like you already tried that and got pretty bad results. It might help to search for any FAQs on the nVidia site to see if you can narrow down that issue that way.
Thanks Aaron for the advice. I think I figured out one of my problem with the video card. I completely uninstalled the older version and reinstalled almost the latest version of the nvidia drivers. It helped with the video error. However, I'm still perplexed with the remote issue. After some experimenting, I was able to determine that the system does still see the remote receiver (ie, it's in the device manager) and also provides power (ie, the red LED does come on when I send remote commands). So I don't think it's a USB suspend power issue. However, the only button that seems to work after a resume from a suspend, is the power button. None of the other buttons on any of my remotes, including the original Windows MCE remote work unless I do a reboot or a device manager rescan. Would a complete "clean reinstall" of the remote help? If so, how does one do that? Thanks
Hi Quang777 - This sounds like a more general suspend/resume issue with the OS than an issue with your remote control. It wouldn't hurt to try to re-install your remote - to do that you'd want to remove it from Device Manager and then unplug it, re-plug it in and let Windows detect the device and re-install the driver for you. You can also try to re-install the most recent Media Center IR driver package from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b39d53f1-0ac9-433b-b488-4cab82f31dc8 (if you're running Windows XP Media Center Edition only - this driver will not work on Windows Vista).
I'd also suggest posting a question at one of the forums that I posted previously to see if anyone else in the community can provide any other workarounds that might help you in this scenario.
I got it to work. I did both steps 2 & 3 together on your recommended fixes. Thanks for the help. Now if I can only get the multi ATSC tuners to work cleanly. Sometimes the MCE seems to hang for some reason. Not sure if it's b/c it's confused which tuner to use or if it's comskip that's doing it. Thanks again.
Thanks for posting this. It worked perfectly.
Kept on trying things listed here until one worked. Ended up being the IR channel needed to be changed. Funny though, the update that supposedly causes the problem was installed years ago. I went to bed last night with it working, and this morning it would not work. Thank goodness for this site and for the range of tips on how to fix this remote!