Aaron Stebner's WebLog

Thoughts about setup and deployment issues, WiX, XNA, the .NET Framework and Visual Studio

What to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps do not help

What to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps do not help

• Comments 73

March 7, 2008 update - I have written a replacement version of these instructions.  Please refer to http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/03/07/8108332.aspx instead of using the steps listed below.

I have heard from many customers who have run into various types of installation problems while trying to install the .NET Framework 1.0 or 1.1 or .NET Framework hotfixes and service packs.  Some of my other blogs posts have described various workarounds, and I am working on an article that consolidates these workarounds.  However, there are some problems that aren't able to be resolved with the other workarounds I have posted.

Nearly every time when I run into a scenario where my other posts do not help, I try to use the following steps to get the machine back into a known state and then install things back one by one:

1. Download the .NET Framework cleanup tool and choose to cleanup the version of the .NET Framework that is causing problems on your system
  2. Download and install the version of the .NET Framework that you cleaned up in step 1 (such as the .NET Framework 1.0, .NET Framework 1.1 or .NET Framework 2.0)
  3. (optional) Download and run the .NET Framework verification tool to double-check that all .NET Framework files are correctly installed
  4. Download and install the desired .NET Framework service pack (such as .NET Framework 1.0 SP3 or .NET Framework 1.1 SP1) by running the setup package directly instead of using Windows Update.  Running it directly will allow the service pack setup to display error dialogs instead of having Windows Update suppress them

Running these steps should ideally put your machine back into a known good state with the .NET Framework plus a service pack installed.  From there, it will usually work to install applications that require the .NET Framework (such as Visual Studio) or to install additional .NET Framework hotfixes (such as the security updates listed here).

<update date="3/7/2008"> I have written a replacement version of these instructions.  Please refer to http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/03/07/8108332.aspx instead of using the steps listed above. </update>

• Hi,

The cleanup tool and instructions worked for me, I now have a upgraded MCE system.

Many thanks...
  • Hello Aaron,

Your cleanup tool worked for me, but I'm very curious. Why didn't the "security update" from MS install (KB886903)? This happened on 2 machines that I was "clean installing." Both systems had some identical custom settings prior to doing the MS updates, I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it? i.e. temp dirs and pagefile are setup for the D drive, with XP installed on C (multi-partitions, several primaries.)

So...the question is, if both XPs were "vanilla" installs with no custom settings, would this "security update" have worked?

What concerns me is that I'll be living with this XP for quite a while and probably have to do a number of clean installs along the way. I will then have to do more updates and I don't want to get into this fix again if I can avoid it. I can't avoid it if I am clueless about what caused it. If it is my setup, perhaps I can do my custom settings after the fact.

Thanks in advance.

Tink
  • Hi Tink - I'm not sure why the security update was failing for you on these systems. There are a lot of possible causes. I haven't heard of any cases where updating the location of the temp directories or the pagefiles would cause this. If you run into this error again, you can use the steps listed in the How To Get Help section of the blog post at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2004/11/23/268934.aspx to gather verbose log files and hopefully we can try to figure out why it is failing based on that.

• Since install my computer starts with a 8 bit display. How do I correct this? Usually my display is set to 32 bit.
    Scott
  • Hi W. Scott Webb - The .NET Framework setup does not touch anything to do with display settings.  You should be able to change this back by right-clicking on your desktop, choosing Properties, then choose the Settings tab and change the Color Quality drop-down.
  • I received the following error after working through your fix's. Any suggestions?

03/21/06 23:04:50 ****ERROR**** VerifySetup returned false for parameters v20_urt_std_x86_ixp.sem and E_FILES
    03/21/06 23:04:50 Verification thread is returning 100
  • Hi P. Murphy - This error you are seeing typically means that the version of the .NET Framework you are trying to verify is not installed on your system.  Are you sure you have the .NET Framework 2.0 installed on this system?  Or did you mean to verify one of the other versions of the .NET Framework?  If needed, you can choose a different product to verify on your system, depending on what is appropriate for your scenario.
  • I attempted to remove VS2003 because of an issue that I was having with ImageList failing to load. I belive that this issue due to installing Visual Assist which I believe altered VS2003 manifest and policy files.
    I ran the Clean Up tool to remove .NET 1.1
    I then installed the 1.1 redist from your link.
    When I ran the Setup Verifier I got the following log.
    When I attempted to install the 1.1 Service Pack it refused to install
    claiming that v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll could not be loaded.
    04/21/06 15:58:23 Starting setup verification for product: .NET Framework v1.1 English
    04/21/06 15:58:23 Running filelistgen.exe with command line: "C:\DOCUME~1\djt\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\filelistgen.exe" /out="C:\DOCUME~1\djt\LOCALS~1\Temp\filelistgen_output.txt" /log="C:\DOCUME~1\djt\LOCALS~1\Temp\filelistgen_log.txt" /map="C:\DOCUME~1\djt\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\v11_urt_std_enu_x86_ixp.sem"
    04/21/06 15:58:24 Running setupverifier.exe with command line: "C:\DOCUME~1\djt\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\setupverifier.exe" /mode install /filelist C:\DOCUME~1\djt\LOCALS~1\Temp\filelistgen_output.txt /outdir C:\DOCUME~1\djt\LOCALS~1\Temp\ /log C:\DOCUME~1\djt\LOCALS~1\Temp\setupverifier_log.txt /ignoreunv
    04/21/06 15:58:28
    04/21/06 15:58:28 ######################################################
    04/21/06 15:58:28
    04/21/06 15:58:28 #################  WARNINGS  #########################
    04/21/06 15:58:28 CompID File Version Language Shared Permanent CRC Excluded
    04/21/06 15:58:28
    04/21/06 15:58:28 *** File with greater version (expected/actual) ***
    04/21/06 15:58:28 {77b2dbf7-665a-432c-b1b4-add82744de15} C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\MUI\0409\mscorier.dll 1.1.4322.573 - false false 0x397a7aee false
    04/21/06 15:58:28 {77b2dbf7-665a-432c-b1b4-add82744de15} C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\MUI\0409\mscorier.dll 2.0.50727.42 ENU false false 0x18b18a53 false
    04/21/06 15:58:28
    04/21/06 15:58:28 ######################################################
    04/21/06 15:58:28
    04/21/06 15:58:28 ******** End of log info from SetupVerifier.exe *******
    04/21/06 15:58:28
    04/21/06 15:58:28 Verification thread is returning 0
  • Hi Dave Tasker - Does your system have the .NET Framework 2.0 installed?  It appears that it does not, but that some part of the .NET Framework thinks that you do.  Can you take a look at the registry sub-key located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework and see if there are any 2.0 or v2.0 values listed in there and if so, let me know what they are?
  • I was working with visual studio 2003 correctly until i had install the windows updates. It crashed on framework 1.1 servicepack1. From this moment i can't execute .net app, i get a double 0xc0000005 error. When i tried to reinstall the framework it crashes on system.enterpriseservices.dll.
    I tried all the trick in your page like change the os languaje and the debbuger. I don't know what i have dane but now it installs framework 1.1 correctly. But .net apps still make the same error.
    I've used the netfx_setupverifer with this log result:

Starting setup verification for product: .NET Framework v1.1 Spanish
    Running filelistgen.exe with command line: "C:\DOCUME~1\prades\CONFIG~1\Temp\IXP001.TMP\filelistgen.exe" /out="C:\DOCUME~1\prades\CONFIG~1\Temp\filelistgen_output.txt" /log="C:\DOCUME~1\prades\CONFIG~1\Temp\filelistgen_log.txt" /map="C:\DOCUME~1\prades\CONFIG~1\Temp\IXP001.TMP\v11_urt_std_enu_x86_ixp.sem"
    Running setupverifier.exe with command line: "C:\DOCUME~1\prades\CONFIG~1\Temp\IXP001.TMP\setupverifier.exe" /mode install /filelist C:\DOCUME~1\prades\CONFIG~1\Temp\filelistgen_output.txt /outdir C:\DOCUME~1\prades\CONFIG~1\Temp\ /log C:\DOCUME~1\prades\CONFIG~1\Temp\setupverifier_log.txt /ignoreunv

*********** Log info from SetupVerifier.exe ***********

######################################################

##################  ERRORS  ##########################
    Contents of FileLangProb.txt
    CompID File Version Language Shared Permanent CRC Excluded

Contents of FileMissing.txt
    CompID File Version Language Shared Permanent CRC Excluded

{9294d21e-67d6-4cbe-a083-59e16a166774} C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\System.EnterpriseServices.Thunk.dll 1.1.4322.573 - true false 0xd9d8d79e false

Contents of FileVerProb.txt
    CompID File Version Language Shared Permanent CRC Excluded

######################################################

#################  WARNINGS  #########################
    CompID File Version Language Shared Permanent CRC Excluded

*** File with greater version (expected/actual) ***
    {35abb1f7-175c-4012-b182-6722148c0f90} C:\WINDOWS\system32\mscories.dll 1.1.4322.573 - true true 0x1659cc02 false
    {35abb1f7-175c-4012-b182-6722148c0f90} C:\WINDOWS\system32\mscories.dll 2.0.50727.42 ENU true true 0xad872b9e false

*** File with greater version (expected/actual) ***
    {f3246a0b-ba15-4075-a153-62168d2ba49f} C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\mscormmc.dll 1.1.4322.573 - true true 0x8d85f0a3 false
    {f3246a0b-ba15-4075-a153-62168d2ba49f} C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\mscormmc.dll 2.0.50727.42 ENU true true 0x3598b294 false

*** File with greater version (expected/actual) ***
    {9294d21e-67d6-4cbe-a083-59e16a166774} C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\System.EnterpriseServices.dll 1.1.4322.573 - true false 0x4e16057b false
    {9294d21e-67d6-4cbe-a083-59e16a166774} C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\System.EnterpriseServices.dll 2.0.50727.42 ENU true false 0x36851504 false

######################################################

******** End of log info from SetupVerifier.exe *******

****ERROR**** VerifySetup returned false for parameters v11_urt_std_enu_x86_ixp.sem and E_FILES
    Verification thread is returning 100

I'm trying on a xp servicepack2 system.
    And i can't reinstall the system
    Sorry about my english but i'm spanish
  • I copy a few dll and now the setupverifer tell me "product verification succeeded".
    But i still can't ejecute .net apps. And the framework 1.1 servicepack1 gives me the same error. A double 0xc0000005.

What can i do on it to work??

thanks
  • Hi Cloud - I am not sure what else to suggest because it sounds like you have already tried the steps in this blog post to remove and reinstall the .NET Framework 1.1.  I think your best option at this point would be to contact the Microsoft technical support team for further troubleshooting.  You are entitled to a free support case for setup-related .NET Framework issues.  I'm sorry I'm not able to be more helpful here.

• Hi,

i need to use the verifier to silently check out the installation.
    guess what - it does not work silently :)
    i tried with the following command line:
    setupverifier_netfxall.exe /q:a /c:"vsverify /q /p .NET Framework v1.1 /l English"
    as defined in the readme but it simply hangs without writing any logfile.
    for comparison if i start it without the "q" switch it gives me the gui with the correct framework select and the language grayed out showing "All". when i make a click into the product box the language is instantly changed to "English" and i'm able to do the verification.

know any fixes?

kind regards,
    mike
  • Hi MHA - You need to make sure that the product name and language match exactly what is displayed in the UI.  In this case, you should be able to run the following:

setupverifier_netfxall.exe /q:a /c:"vsverify /q /p .NET Framework v1.1 /l All"

• Hi Aron,

sorry to say but the only way the tool works in quiet mode is using this:
    setupverifier_netfxall.exe /q:a /c:"vsverify /p .NET Framework v2.0 (x86) /q /l All"
    everything else leads to a hangup or a simple close without any output.
    it seems more like a programming bug when initializing the language. But i'm thinking about using the command line tools anyway.

kind regards,