Thoughts about setup and deployment issues, WiX, XNA, the .NET Framework and Visual Studio
All postings are provided AS IS
with no warranties, and confer no rights. Additionally, views expressed
herein are my own and not those of my employer, Microsoft.
A couple of months ago, I posted a list of workarounds that have proven useful to resolve problems using the Media Center remote control and IR receiver after installing Update Rollup 2 for Media Center 2005.
Since I posted that, I have received several comments from customers who were able to solve this issue with a different workaround not previously listed on that post. I have found that internet searches do not do a great job of indexing blog comments, but they do well for the main body text of blog posts, so I wanted to post this suggestion as a separate blog post in the hope that others will be able to find it more easily. I can't take any credit for finding this workaround. It was posted as a comment on my previous blog post by a kind customer who discovered it and found it useful, and I have heard from several additional customers who indicated that it has helped them as well.
I encourage you to try this workaround if you have already exhausted the list of suggestions located in my previous blog post and still have problems getting your Media Center remote control and/or IR receiver to work correctly.
Remove the batteries from the remote control and short the battery terminals using a small metal object such as a paper clip.
There is enough capacitance remote control circuit board to keep it alive for hours even after you remove the batteries. However, you can workaround this and drain the capacitors by shorting two of the adjacent battery terminals on the remote. Different remotes have different configurations, so it is difficult to know \which two adjacent terminals are the ones wired to the circuit board (the other two are simply a short to connect one battery to the other). Therefore, you should short both pair of adjacent terminals, which can be achieved by using a paper clip. After that, re-insert the batteries and try to use the remote control again.
This article serves as a central location for all links to troubleshooting documentation that has been
Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:52 PM by astebner
# re: How to short a Media Center remote control if it stops working correctly
Hi Josh - Can you try to install the latest IR driver hotfix package from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b39d53f1-0ac9-433b-b488-4cab82f31dc8&DisplayLang=en if you haven't already? Hopefully that will help clear up the error code you are seeing.
Hi Susan - It is possible that your wireless mouse and keyboard are interfering with the Media Center remote. Do you have the Microsoft Media Center keyboard or some other type of wireless keyboard/mouse? Are they communicating with your computer via bluetooth or IR?
I have a RF wirless mouse/keyboard and when I plug this in it comes up as an unknown device. This is after plugging in the Microsoft IR reciever. It all worked fine b4. If I uninstall the Microsoft device my RF device no longer works not even in BIOS boot up. If I rebuild my PC it works again until I plug the MS IR in.
Hi Philholloway - I'm sorry but I don't have any expertise on this kind of interaction problem between the Media Center IR receiver and RF mouse/keyboards. You may want to try to post a question on the Microsoft.Public.Windows.MediaCenter newsgroup and see if someone there can suggest any workarounds.
Hi guys - I was having problems with my Microsoft MCE remote and Media Center not responding to all the remote functions. Play, Ok, cursor buttons and Start would work fine, but not much else.
I found in another forum that someone suggested to make sure the "Human Interface Device Access" service was enabled and started.
In my situation, the service was disabled but when I enabled it and I tried to start it, it would terminate unexpectedly with the following error in the event log:
The Human Interface Device Access service terminated with the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.
After some more research, I found the below solution to be very helpful as it has solved my problem completely.
- Service: "Human Interface Device Access" - From a newsgroup post: "The following error will occur if any of the following three files are missing, namely: “hidserv.dll”, “mouhid.sys”, and “mouclass.sys”. Error description: “Could not start the Human Interface Device Access service on Local Computer. Error 126: the specified module could not be found”. To fix this problem extract “hidserv.dll”“, mouhid.sys” and “mouclass.sys” from the file “drivers.cab”, located on the Windows XP Setup CD to "<SystemRoot>\windows\system32\".
1. Insert Windows XP Setup CD.
2. Browse to <CDROM drive letter>:\i386\drivers.cab
3. Double click the “drivers.cab” file. The compressed files in the “.cab” file will be listed.
4. Copy the three files to “<SystemRoot>\windows\system32\”. Reboot the computer".