Thoughts about setup and deployment issues, WiX, XNA, the .NET Framework and Visual Studio
All postings are provided AS IS
with no warranties, and confer no rights. Additionally, views expressed
herein are my own and not those of my employer, Microsoft.
A couple of months ago, I posted a list of workarounds that have proven useful to resolve problems using the Media Center remote control and IR receiver after installing Update Rollup 2 for Media Center 2005.
Since I posted that, I have received several comments from customers who were able to solve this issue with a different workaround not previously listed on that post. I have found that internet searches do not do a great job of indexing blog comments, but they do well for the main body text of blog posts, so I wanted to post this suggestion as a separate blog post in the hope that others will be able to find it more easily. I can't take any credit for finding this workaround. It was posted as a comment on my previous blog post by a kind customer who discovered it and found it useful, and I have heard from several additional customers who indicated that it has helped them as well.
I encourage you to try this workaround if you have already exhausted the list of suggestions located in my previous blog post and still have problems getting your Media Center remote control and/or IR receiver to work correctly.
Remove the batteries from the remote control and short the battery terminals using a small metal object such as a paper clip.
There is enough capacitance remote control circuit board to keep it alive for hours even after you remove the batteries. However, you can workaround this and drain the capacitors by shorting two of the adjacent battery terminals on the remote. Different remotes have different configurations, so it is difficult to know \which two adjacent terminals are the ones wired to the circuit board (the other two are simply a short to connect one battery to the other). Therefore, you should short both pair of adjacent terminals, which can be achieved by using a paper clip. After that, re-insert the batteries and try to use the remote control again.
I know it has been a while since anyone has posted in this however, I am having a similar problem to Susan. My remote receiver is plugged in and recognized by the computer. When I hit buttons on the remote, the red light on the receiver lights up. However, nothing comes up on the computer.
I have run through all of the steps in the previous blog entry and this one about remote issues. Did Susan fix her problem, or are there any other suggestions.
Hi Wonk - I'm sorry, but the comment from Susan was from a long time ago so I don't remember what the resolution was for that issue. I have posted several possible workarounds for remote control/receiver issues in the "Remote control and IR receiver errors" section of the article at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/487537.aspx.
If none of those help, I'd suggest posting a question in one of the following places to see if someone there can suggest any additional workarounds:
I'm having trouble with the MCE 'Keyboard' rather than the remote (which I've fixed on many occaisions with the shorting method). Whenever I switch the keyboard on, the transmit led flashes as though a key is stuck (which I've verified isn't happening). I get decent mouse movement, but for example if I try to left click on the 'Start' button, the start menu flashes 'up' and then immediately hides again.
Anyone have any idea what's going on, and how I might fix it?
Thanks in advance!
Hi PGPfan - The workarounds I know of for remote control and receiver issues are all listed in the Remote Control and IR Receiver errors section of the article at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/487537.aspx.
If none of those help, I'd suggest posting a question at one of the following locations and hopefully someone there can suggest a solution:
Hopefully this helps.
This one had stumped me for a long time. I'm glad I finally stumbed on this page. I had the problem where only the first press of a remote button would work. Subsequent presses of the same button would not work until I pressed another button. Tweak MCE and disabling the "Universal Remote" option worked like a champ! Here's the link again for reference: (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3400190A-511A-4A3A-9B89-524511A76F58&displaylang=en)
PingBack from http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-pcs/853559-mce-remote-slow-response.html#post8058751
PingBack from http://www.keyongtech.com/2807950-remote-still-doesnt-work-please
almost 5 years old & this blog post is *still* helping people out! The battery terminal shorting tip just saved my sanity, thanks:-D
My ancient original MCE remote just went dead and I tried shorting the battery contacts to no avail.
Out of desperation, I then tried the "hold PC button and press every other button" trick and the remote is suddently working again. Thanks for the great (and still relevant) post! :)
after many hours of research, someone here suggested to change the batteries... that did the trick :)
ps: wow, 2006
Change batteries on MCE remote now not working fully some buttons do nothing
Hello, just chiming in to says thanks for the tip on shorting the battery terminals! Got my "dead" remote working again. I'll have to keep all these tips in mind for next time!