Thoughts about setup and deployment issues, WiX, XNA, the .NET Framework and Visual Studio
All postings are provided AS IS
with no warranties, and confer no rights. Additionally, views expressed
herein are my own and not those of my employer, Microsoft.
If you try to install the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 or XNA Game Studio on Windows 8, you may encounter an XNA Game Studio setup failure.
How to work around this issue
If you run into this issue, here are steps that you can use to work around it:
What to do if the workaround doesn’t help
If you have tried the above steps and setup still fails, you are running into a different issue than the one described above, and you will have to look at the setup log files to determine the root cause.
If you are installing the Windows Phone SDK 7.1, you can use the log collection tool to gather your setup log files. This log collection tool will create a file named %temp%\vslogs.cab.
If you are installing XNA Game Studio, you can find log files at the following locations:
Once you have gathered your setup log files, please upload them to a file server of your choice (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and post a link to the log files in the App Hub Forums or in a comment on my blog to get additional support.
What is causing this failure behind the scenes
XNA Game Studio installs a version of the Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable behind the scenes. Some older versions of the Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable attempt to install and use a file that is being installed by Windows 8, and the older versions of the redistributable are not compatible with the newer version of the file that is installed by Windows 8. Newer versions of the Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable are compatible with Windows 8, and if you pre-install the new redistributable before installing XNA Game Studio, setup will recognize that it is already there and use the new version instead of trying to install the old version.
The reason this issue also impacts the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 is that this SDK installs XNA Game Studio behind the scenes, which in turn installs the Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable behind the scenes.
<update date="7/12/2012"> Added a note about installing the Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1 Update after installing the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 to fix an emulator issue on Windows 8. </update>
<update date="7/22/2012"> Fixed broken link to the Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1 Update </update>
<update date="10/30/2012"> Removed outdated reference to the Windows 8 consumer preview. This post applies equally to the final release of Windows 8. </update>
Worked, thanks for the assistance!
Hi Aaron - I followed you instruction every went smooth update to WindowsPhone SDK7.1 installation. When i try to update SDK7.1 to SDK7.1.1 my System hanging and not responding. What should i do?
Hi Jegnath - A system hang is more than likely being caused by a different problem than the one described in this blog post. Can you please use the tool described at blogs.msdn.com/.../6458047.aspx to collect all of your setup log files, upload the file named %temp%\vslogs.cab that this tool will create to a file server (such as http://skydrive.live.com), and then reply back here and provide a link that I can use to download your log files and take a closer look?
I ran into a problem that sounds like the one Amruta Shah encountered, where the installer gave back code 0x800b0003.
My Xliveinstall.log file indicated the following:
(14:18:11) Download Status: download.gfwl.xboxlive.com/.../xliveredist.msi
(14:18:13) File 'C:\Users\Dex\AppData\Local\Microsoft\GFWLive\Downloads\xliveredist.msi' was not signed correctly or its contents are invalid.
(14:18:13) Failed to validate C:\Users\Dex\AppData\Local\Microsoft\GFWLive\Downloads\xliveredist.msi. [Code:0x800b0003]
The new gfwlsetup.exe marketplace client (www.xbox.com/.../DownloadClient) is a little more involved than just the simple redist nowadays and it fails on Win8 while trying to verify the xliveredist.msi that it downloads, so I fixed it by downloading the xliveredist.msi directly from the link above and installing that manually. After that the gfwlsetup.exe runs fine.
thanks a lot...
Thanks a lot.
Thanks Dex it looks like you saved my bacon!
Thank you very much. It's realy works.
Thanks. It work
Thx a lot! It worked just fine! Greetings from Barcelona, Spain
I'm having issues now with 7.1.1, it says a newer version of the Microsoft Advertising SDK already exists so it rolls back all the changes (I do have SDK 8.0 installed).
Hi Kamran - 8.0 and 7.1.1 are supposed to allow you to install side-by-side. There might be an order-of-install problem, so if possible, I'd suggest that you try to uninstall 8.0, install 7.1.1, then re-install 8.0 to see if that fixes things.
If that doesn't help, then I'd suggest posting a question on the Windows Phone developer forum at social.msdn.microsoft.com/.../home and hopefully someone there will be able to provide some additional ideas for you to try out.
Actually, installing the 7.8 update seems to also install the 7.1.1 update, so that fixed my issue. My overall issue was that VS2013 does not yet support the 7.1+ SDKs, so I eventually had to reinstall all of this after reinstalling VS2012 and now everything is working.