I recently worked on an incident in which the Windows Azure application had 1 web role and one WCF role. Initially the basics application with no specific changes worked well on compute emulator and on Windows Azure. After when we added the following configuration in the web.config the application for stuck “Busy” on Azure:

 

<standardEndpoints>

                 <webHttpEndpoint>

                                  <standardEndpoint name="" helpEnabled="true" automaticFormatSelectionEnabled="true" />

                 </webHttpEndpoint>

</standardEndpoints>

 

After little more investigation inside the Windows Azure VM, I found that the reason for this issue is that the cloud VM's machine.config is missing the following section:

<configSections>
<sectionGroup name="system.serviceModel" type="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceModelSectionGroup, System.ServiceModel, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">   
   <section name="standardEndpoints" type="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.StandardEndpointsSection, System.ServiceModel, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>
    </sectionGroup>
</configSections>

After I added above part in the machine.config, the role started without any further problem.