Woohoo...First blog post for Dynamics AX in the field!
Let's start things off with an easy one:
A common question we get from customers who are new to Dynamics AX is: What's the best Practice for adding users to Test and Development environments as data is refreshed from production? After all, who wants their testers and developers to have access to the production environment?
The answer really depends on how many users you are looking to change. I am going to put some possibilities in order from slowest to fastest for a large number of users.
· One possibility is for an AX user who is also a member of the Admin group to manually add the users within (Administration > Users) once the data is restored. (best for 1-2 users)
· A second possibility would be to use the "Active Directory Import Wizard" located within (Administration > Users - Import Button). This is best for importing an AD Group of users. For instance an AD group named: 'AX Developers'
· A third, and probably least tedious, would be to manually create the development and test users in their respective environments once. Then export the users and related security groups from (Administration > Periodic > Data Export/Import):
Depending on what’s already been setup in the environments, you may export all or some of the following tables:
· AccessRightsList* – security permissions for user groups
· UserGroupInfo* – User groups
· UserGroupList – user group membership
· UserInfo – AX users
· SysUserInfo – User settings
· SysLastValue – Usage data (user)
· DataArea - companies
· DomainInfo* – domains
· CompanyDomainList – companies belonging to domain
Note that when doing this, the export/import needs to be done from the DAT company, as all security information is stored in DAT. Also, note that the tables denoted with a * above should always be transferred.
Once the export is created, you could simply import this file every time the data is refreshed. This way you will have all your users setup with the proper security.
For more information on Exporting/Importing data in Dynamics AX 2009, see the following: