BizTalk Server 2010 has been released to manufacturing and will be available for purchase starting October 1st, 2010. The evaluation and free Developer editions are now available for download from the BizTalk Server website.
BizTalk Server 2010 is the seventh major release of Microsoft enterprise integration product for connecting systems within and across enterprises. BizTalk Server 2010 has 4 major themes – to help customers to:
· Integrate Enterprise Applications Easily
· Manage and Tune Solutions easily
· Enhance Enterprise Interoperability
Let us look at each of themes in detail.
BizTalk Server 2010 helps developers put together applications that integrate various heterogeneous systems in an enterprise easily. There are a number of new features and enhancements to the existing features that enable this easy integration.
Seamless access and mapping to Line-of-Business applications for new users and new scenarios
BizTalk Server 2010 includes out of box activities to connect and map data for AppFabric (.NET) developers. With these activities customers can now connect to LOB systems very easily and also use the award winning BizTalk Mapper and the mapping functionality within AppFabric.
With this feature BizTalk Server 2010 now enables:
· Out of box Line of Business Connectivity
· Includes message data transformation
· Delivered as WF 4.0 activities
· Utilize existing BizTalk engine and tools
· BizTalk LoB Adapters (SAP, Oracle, Siebel, Oracle DB, SQL Server)
· Transformation Engine and Mapper
· Provide LoB connectivity for scenarios that need better performance rather than reliability and control (e.g. Web)
· Enables customers to develop solutions that need higher performance without the durability and reliability constraints.
More posts with detailed information on LOB access and mapper activities in AppFabric are here, here, here, and here.
Better design experience of data transformation (maps)
The Mapper in BizTalk Server 2010 has been redesigned and enhanced to work easily with complex maps.
A few highlights of the new Mapper are:
· Reduce background “noise” using highlight propagation to show only the nodes that are relevant to the user
· Auto-scrolling and coalescing of sibling nodes to help locate the nodes of interest easily
· Search functionality to find the nodes of interest easily especially in large and complex maps
· Improve productivity with Cut/Copy/Paste/Move/Undo functionality
· Predictive match that help create maps faster
More details on the new Mapper are available here.
Built-in components for rapid development of RFID solutions
BizTalk Server 2010 helps developers build RFID solutions faster by providing out of box event handlers for duplicate elimination, TDT based filtering and dwell filtering. It also provides out of box mechanism for .NET apps to subscribe to RFID events, post events to BizTalk Server and also post EPCIS events to a Capture Service.
Theme: Manage and Tune Solutions easily
BizTalk Server 2010 helps IT Pros to easily tune their systems for performance and also manage their systems easily. With the below features in BizTalk Server 2010, it is easier and faster to just get things done.
· Easier to setup and update and migrate
· Efficient performance and tuning and setting of run-time parameters with finer setting granularity and more intuitive and accessible settings
· Better visibility and control of production environment with a new System Center Operations Management Pack
· Enhanced security with Transparent Message Data Encryption
· Compression option to speed up backup tasks
Let us look at the enhancements to settings and SCOM pack in details.
All the settings related to performance tuning are now consolidated in a single dashboard which is accessible from the Management Console. This settings dashboard provides:
· Dashboard view for all performance related settings consolidated in a single place
· Granular setting level options: group, host and host instance
· For example – MaxReceiveInterval which is used to tune BizTalk solutions for high performance is now available at the host level. It is also split into separate settings - MessagePollingInterval and OrchestrationPollingInterval
· Uniform access to settings through APIs
· Ability to replicate settings between deployments using scriptable Export/Import operations
System Center Operations Manager Pack:
The SCOM pack has been redesigned and remodeled to help IT Professionals to easily monitor BizTalk installations and diagnose any problems. This is enabled with the enhancements below:
· New model with separate application and deployment views
· New alerts and diagnostics
· Single representation of artifacts in a multi machine deployment
The last two versions of BizTalk Server – BizTalk Server 2006 R2 and BizTalk Server 2009 can be upgraded to BizTalk Server 2010 seamlessly in-place.
Theme: Enhance Enterprise Interoperability
BizTalk Server 2010 increases enterprise interoperability with the new, scalable TPM (Trading Partner Management) and new and enhanced Adapters and Accelerators. Now we will look at each of these in detail.
Scalable Trading Partner Management:
The new TPM enables easy on-boarding and lifecycle management of trading partners with the following features:
· New Partner Management model that reflects typical B2B relationships.
· Better and more accessible user interface with
· Agreement templates and business profiles for rapid configuration
· New TPM operator role to manage partner management
Another post with more details on TPM is here.
New and enhanced Adapters:
· New FTPS adapter
· Enhanced FTP Adapter
· Supports files from read-only locations
· Extends atomic write to text files
· Fault tolerance and performance improvements
· Support for new versions of LOB systems
· Oracle EBS 12.1
· SAP 7
· JD Edwards 9.0
· SharePoint 2010
· SQL Server 2008 R2
· Support for new Microsoft platforms
· Windows Server 2008 R2
· .NET Framework 4.0
· Visual Studio 2010
As we discussed in this blog today, with the focus on making developing, tuning, and managing enterprise integration solutions and managing trading partners faster, simpler and easier, we hope that BizTalk Server 2010 will make it easy for enterprises to build composite solutions that span both on-premise LOB systems and also applications deployed onto the public cloud.
Here is another post that discusses the features of BizTalk Server 2010 along with a video.
Learn BizTalk Server 2010 at your own pace here.
To learn more regarding the BizTalk Server 2010 release and download our new free developer edition, please visit BizTalk Server website. You can learn more about Microsoft’s Application Infrastructure capabilities by exploring on-demand training at www.appinfrastructure.com.