A couple more cube build error messages I have seen recently. The first is related to a time out with Analysis Services 2005 and the clue is that failure will be just over an hour into the build (assuming the timeout is still the default 3600 seconds). The error is:-
The first part of the error message will be localized if you are using a MUI - the second will not.
To resolve the issue set the advanced property ExternalCommandTimeout to a value that will allow the building of the cube. The default is 3600 (seconds) which is one hour. Increasing to 36000 will be ten hours. The value could be increased further or reduced depending if the cube builds within this modified time.
To change the value of the timeout property go to Management Studio for SQL Server 2005 and connect to Analysis Services. Right click the server name in the left pane and select Properties. Check the option to Show Advanced (All) Properties then scroll down to ExternalCommandTimeout. Change the value in the Value column then click OK. A restart is not required.
Another workaround would be to reduce the complexity of the cube build by either limiting dates or removing some or all added dimensions. This workaround is unlikely to be a workable answer for most customers.
The fact that a restart of the service is not required leads me to the second error message, which can appear if you do restart and then immediately try another cube build:-
There may well be other scenarios that give the same error, but for the scenario where you have just restarted the server then just try the build again and all will work.
Technorati Tags: Project Server 2007
Unless this is a big coincidence I think one of my colleagues, Bernie, is working with you on this. I'll post back to the blog when we have a solution - but my first guess is some kind of circular reference.
Hi, I have the same error while doing a syncrhonization between ssas databases. Also this behavior is not consistent and hence we are not able to pin it to a cause.
any info will certainly help.
I have a cube which I process via SSIS (Analysis services processing task) which fails with "Internal error: The operation terminated unsuccessfully." error.
THe schedule is to process the cube 3 times a day and all the runs do not fail. THere is no consistent pattern of failure.
When I manually process the cube after the failure it runs successfully.
This is not a very complex cuve. Server is high end server with 8 dual core CPUs and 32 GB memory.
You don't mention if this is a Project Server cube - or not. I'll assume not. The SQL errorlog may give more information - or you could try running a profiler trace at the time the job should run to see if that gives any more info. Could there be activity in the staging tables that blocks the build?
We have seen the OLE DB error twice when we build a Project 2007 OLAP Cube. This seems to happen after I migrate projects from 2003 to 2007. A restart of Analysis Services seems to fix the issue, but we still cannot pinpoint the root cause. Any thoughts to why this is happening or modifications to the migration process that will result in this not occuring would be great.
I can;timmediately see a connection between migrated projects and this type of failure. It could be due to the database indexes and statistics being stale if much data has been added, but a simple restart of the AS doesn't do much to improve that. Do you have recent CUs loaded for SQL Server and the Analysis Services?
I had this type of failure with error message relating to 'Assignment Timephased......'. Regardless of Timeout settings...with latest patch levels. The minute I added Project Attribute as dimension in Assignment Cube the build would hang and then fail. Requiring reboot/restart of SQL Server as the TEMP DB bloated.
Note: The cube built fine without the Project Attribute as dimension in Assignment Cube.
The users had been using mixed resource type assignments on common tasks and blank tasks on projects.
I ended up doing some iterative testing with each project in the system. I found a few projects which consistently caused the cube build to fail.
After cleanup and re-importing the projects, I was able to build cube within 5-10min.
Hope this helps