A couple of recent posts over on Project Support cover some behaviors in Project Server timesheets that can catch folk out. The first relates to deleted projects and assignments – and what then happens in the timesheet - Project Server Timesheets- What happens when I delete a project or assignment- - as well as covering a bug in 2013 where the timesheet status is getting reset when a status approval follows a timesheet approval (which is virtually every time when you self approve timesheets! Then the 2nd came out of comments made on the first – and covers the relationship between assignments and timesheets – and the fact that one assignment can span multiple timesheets – and if there is time to submit on more than one of these – then guess what – it gets submitted too! Timesheets and assignments–updating status isn’t just for the current week
These apply to Project Server 2010, Project Server 2013 and Project Online. Thanks to Gary, Treb and Elli for their input into these conversations. And yes Gary, I’m still looking into a script to resolve the ‘wrong status’ issue.
It has been a busy few days in ProjectLand, and in case you hadn’t seen it we have a new KB out on the Project Server 2013 lost resources issue – complete with a stored procedure update that will patch our on-premises customers to avoid this condition occurring – and a detection script to see if you have hit the issue - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2933444
*** Update 2/18 - Looking to get the KB updated - but we incorrectly refer to the upcoming April 2014 CU as the April 2013 - hope this didn't confuse anyone too much - and thanks to Mike Wahlman of Project Hosts for pointing this out to me ***
Also very well worth your time to read is the great work Denise and Mike put in to the article What reporting tools can I use with project data? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/what-reporting-tools-can-i-use-with-project-data-HA104187048.aspx – and some of you may have seen the poster at the Project Conference 2014.
And finally (for now) I published an article on Project Server 2010 categories and how they can fill up - Project Server 2010- Is my category full-.
The release posting is over on http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/archive/2014/02/12/microsoft-project-server-2010-february-cu-announcement.aspx and this month we just have updates for Project 2010 and Project Server 2010. As SP1 is coming soon for Project 2013 and Project Server 2013 (1st Quarter is not over yet) we skipped the February 2014 Cumulative Update just to make planning easier (ours as well as yours!).
Heading home after a great time in Anaheim. A total of 8 sessions delivered over the conference and pre and post days – and plenty of other stuff going on – it has been a crazy few weeks. It really means a lot to me to hear from so many of you personally at the conference on the help the blog has been to you – and also gives me the encouragement to go on doing what I’m doing! Don’t forget your evaluations if you were at the conference – it helps us to know what worked, what didn’t – not just asking for me – but for all the sessions. I will be going through the videos shortly as there were plenty of sessions I wanted to get to but didn’t have the chance.
Good to catch up with so many partners and MVP’s (sitting drinking coffee at Long Beach airport with Michael Wharton as I write this…) as well as many customers I can now put a face to rather than just a voice (or e-mail). The karaoke was fun too at the House of Blues – Eli as Britney Spears was something special – as was the Stray Cat. I always think after karaoke that I really should try it. Next time…
The project community is something special – I’m glad I get to be part of it – and it has given me so many friendships over the years.
I have just made a very important posting over on the Project Support blog at Project Server 2013 and Project Online- What happened to my resources-. This posting covers a recent bug we discovered with Project Server 2013 an Project Online and now have a fix for. The symptom of this issue is that you can lose resources from your plan – and they appear as numbers rather than a name and are converted to material resources. Please take some time to read it if you are using Project Server 2013 or Project Online and have had issues where you saw resources missing from your plans.
*** Update 2/13 - please see Knowledgebase article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2933444 for published details on this issue - including a detection script and a SQL command to correct a stored procedure to avoid this problem ***