Buck Hodges

Visual Studio Online, Team Foundation Server, MSDN

October, 2013

Posts
  • Buck Hodges

    Git and HTTPS with TFS 2013

    • 0 Comments

    Philip Kelley has written a great blog post that explains using HTTPS with Team Foundation Server 2013. In it he explains basic auth and Windows auth among other things. If you are using a self-signed certificate, the post will tell you how to add it to your client so that git.exe will work.

    Git network operations in Visual Studio 2013

    Visual Studio 2013 includes in-the-box support for Git version control. That support includes the ability to perform Git network operations from inside of Visual Studio, such as cloning a repository, or performing a fetch, push, or pull operation on an existing repository.

    An endpoint for a clone, fetch, push, or pull operation in Git is called a “remote.” Visual Studio 2013’s Git support contains support for remotes using the following protocols.

    more…

  • Buck Hodges

    How to fix an error with the Windows 8.1 upgrade utility

    • 1 Comments

    I had gotten a Windows 8 upgrade key with the purchase of a computer last summer. I hadn’t used it, so I wanted to upgrade a desktop my family uses. I ran the utility WindowsSetupBox.exe that you can download from the Upgrade Windows with only a product key page.

    However, it failed quickly after choosing either to run the upgrade or to download it to media. I didn’t write down the error message, but it wasn’t very descriptive – it just said that something went wrong. It failed so quickly, it seemed like it wasn’t really trying.

    So I downloaded SysInternals’ Process Monitor in order to see which files and registry keys the upgrade utility was using. Scanning through the output, I saw C:\users\<acct>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup. I deleted that folder. After that, the upgrade utility started working as expected.

    I noticed the dates on the files were from January, and that’s when I remembered having started to upgrade the computer from Win 7 to 8 and later canceling. Apparently having the old data there was causing the upgrade utility to fail.

    I hope this helps anyone who runs into a similar problem.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)