LinkedIn | FaceBook | Twitter
The team here discovered something that I thought we should share. I'll get a Knowledge Base (KB) article out soon so that you have something more "official", but I wanted to get this out as soon as I could.
A user wrote us and said that when he tried to import his registered servers from SQL Server 2005 using the "Import" feature in SQL Server 2008, SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) gave him an error.
When we dug into this, we found that when we added support for the new "Central Management Servers" node, we needed a new XML file format for the servers so that they could be differentiated from the other nodes in SSMS. That's a good thing.
We also made sure that if you upgrade the SQL Server 2005 tools to SQL Server 2008, then you will be prompted to migrate all of the old data on the first launch of SSMS. That's also good. So if you just upgrade you're fine.
What *isn't* good is that the import function, which is another set of code entirely, didn't get the change. This means if you use the "Import" feature in SQL Server 2008 and point it at the list of servers you exported from SQL Server 2005 using the "Export" feature, you'll get this error. Argh!
But there is a solution:
Sorry about that - we've got a bug in for this.
Anyone who runs into this same problem, you do need to remove the passwords from the file. It imported fine for me (using the workaround) after doing that.
This was written in 2008. Here it is 2014 and this solution does not work, nor any MS Updates (that I can find) to resolve it.
Welcome to MicroShaft.
Thanks, deleting passwords from SQL2005 RegSrvr.xml helped me to import servers into MS SQL Server 2014