Quite a few folks have been playing with the Windows Phone 7 platform, creating all kinds of crazy games, utilities, etc. for this new platform. I am no different. I simply couldn’t help myself, so once I had my new Samsung Focus in hand ( November of last year I believe ), I set out to build a game that I knew I would miss terribly after replacing my iPhone 4. This post is really less about the game however, and more about the various issues I found as I built the game and got it up on the marketplace.
I learned a ton while building this game, and ran into a number of little bumps along the way, mostly due to my inexperience with the new environment, but also due to issues with docs, limitations of APIs, etc.
Here’s a quick list of the things I ran into ( in no particular order ) that I’m hoping could save you some time when building your own WP7 apps:
I’m sure I’ve forgotten a few other things that tripped me up along the way, but that feels pretty comprehensive to me.
All and all, a lot of fun building this thing. The WP7 team really did a great job, and the silverlight team did a bang-up job on the developer tooling!
Hope that helps!
P.S. If you’re interested, the game my wife and I built is called “WordMe”. Pull it down, and challenge me in a word game. Bring it!
P.S.S. Oh, and I should dedicate this game to Karen Noble, who first introduced me to “that damn game” on the iPhone. Damn you Karen!