Being Cellfish

Stuff I wished I've found in some blog (and sometimes did)

Getting code coverage in visual studio 2010 when using

Change of Address
This blog has moved to

Getting code coverage in visual studio 2010 when using

  • Comments 1

Recently I set up a project where i wanted to use as a unit test framework and I also wanted code coverage so I thought it should be easy using VS2010. Even though the final solution turned out to be fairly simple there were a few bumps on the road. basically I had to do a variant of what I did for native coverage before. Basically I ended up with a batch file looking like this:

@echo off
del *.dll *.orig *.pdb *.exe *.config *.coverage
copy ..\ProjectUnitTests\bin\Debug\*.dll .
copy ..\ProjectUnitTests\bin\Debug\*.pdb .
copy PATH_TO_XUNIT\xunit.console.exe .
copy PATH_TO_XUNIT\xunit.console.exe.config .
copy PATH_TO_XUNIT\xunit.runner.utility.dll .
vsinstr.exe ProjectAssemblyTested.dll /COVERAGE
start vsperfmon.exe /COVERAGE /OUTPUT:Project.coverage
xunit.console.exe ProjectAssemblyTested.UnitTests.dll
vsperfcmd.exe /SHUTDOWN
call Project.coverage
@echo on

The only real bump in the road was that the error message when I used x86 profiler on a x64 assembly did not say anything meaningful. It just refused to gather any coverage data. So the trick was to open a VS2010 x64 command prompt and then everything worked smoothly. Easy enough to get coverage after all.

  • Thanks for this little script, it works great!

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)