Ari Bakker and Wictor Wilen both have done great jobs on documenting what it takes to provision SharePoint 2010 Managed Metadata fields.
- Ari Bakker’s Provisioning SharePoint 2010 Managed Metadata fields
- Wictor Wilen’s How to provision SharePoint 2010 Managed Metadata columns
Yes, I agree it is a tedious job and there are lot of things to keep in mind when provisioning managed metadata fields in SharePoint 2010. So, I decided to visualise what is involved.
I strongly recommend to read Ari Bakker’s blog post before proceeding any further as I reference his methods in the visualisations.
Hope these visualisations help in making the provisioning job much easier.
Do leave your comment if you have any suggestion.
As a best practice, everything is wrapped into features:
1) Create your managed metadata columns Feature which deploys the custom managed metadata fields.
2) Create your custom content type Feature which deploys your custom content types that consume your custom managed metadata fields.
3) If you are creating custom list definition from your custom content type (that is consuming the managed metadata fields), then Create a custom list definition Feature.
4) Activate the features above in the same order.
You can now activate the features in the following order
You can download the sample from Ari Bakker’s blog post (linked here)