The Visual Studio development team is looking to prioritize their development efforts, unfortunately without your input this can often be a challenging task -and of questionable value...If you have a chance please answer the questions below and drop me a piece of mail Chass@microsoft.com
1. Which Microsoft products or applications do you use or integrate into your development projects? Select all that apply.
a. Windows XP
b. Windows Vista
c. Windows Server 2003
d. Windows Server 2008
e. Visual Studio 2003 / .NET 1.1 or earlier
f. Visual Studio 2005 / .NET 2.0
g. Visual Studio 2008 / .NET 3.5
h. Office XP or earlier
i. Office 2003
j. Office 2007
k. SQL Server 2000
l. SQL Server 2005
m. Internet Explorer 6
n. Internet Explorer 7
o. Other (specify)
p. None [EXCLUSIVE]
q. Not sure [EXCLUSIVE]
2. How satisfied are you with the overall development experience using each of these Microsoft products or applications?
b. Windows Server 2003
c. Windows Server 2008
d. Visual Studio 2003 / .NET 1.1 or earlier
e. Visual Studio 2005 / .NET 2.0
f. Visual Studio 2008 / .NET 3.5
g. Office XP or earlier
h. Office 2003
i. Office 2007
j. SQL Server 2000
k. SQL Server 2005
l. Internet Explorer 6
m. Internet Explorer 7
Dissatisfied (1) Satisfied (9)
Dissatisfied (1) Satisfied (9)
4. Which of these application type technologies do you use? Select all that apply.
a. Windows Forms
e. ASP.NET AJAX Toolkit
k. Application server
l. Other (specify)
5. How would you rate the quality of (1 low 9 high)?
a. Windows Forms
6. How would you rate the productivity of (1 low 9 high)?
7. How would you rate the performance of(1 low 9 high)?
8. How often do you find the information you're looking for in the following places? (1 low 9 high)?
a. Visual Studio Help
b. Microsoft online locations (MSDN, Dev Centers, Blogs etc.)
c. Non-Microsoft websites
9. How would you rate the security of(1 low 9 high)?
10. How would you rate the suitability to the task of (1 low 9 high)?
11. Which project technology do you use most often with the ASP.NET application?
a. WAP - Web application projects
b. Web Sites
c. Both about the same
e. Not sure
12. When developing a solution, how important are the following criteria in the software you develop?
a. Minimize defects and bugs
c. Ability to update
e. Extendibility / Flexibility
h. Secure from malicious attacks
i. Project completed on-time
Not At All Extremely
Important (1) Important (9)
13. What other criteria are important to you when developing software?
14. How well does VS support you in your code maintenance tasks in the following ways(1 low 9 high)?
a. Ability to maintain, update, and refactor existing code base
b. Helps me test my applications
c. Helps me with the debugging of my application
15. How well does VS support application deployment in the following ways(1 low 9 high)?
a. Ability to publish or deploy my entire solution/application (and dependencies)
b. Availability of the .NET framework on my target machines
16. How well does VS support your data access need in the following ways(1 low 9 high)?
a. Ability to create data centric applications
b. Ability to connect to my data sources (databases, services, XML, Objects, Excel, CSV, etc) of interest
c. Integrating data with user interface (aka "data binding")
d. Ability to propagate data [Schema] changes throughout my model and application
e. MS supports my database providers (e.g. Oracle, MySQL, etc)
17. How well does VS editor support you in code writing activities in the following ways(1 low 9 high)?
a. Easily navigate to the code I'm interested in
b. Helps me read, review, and understand my code
c. Allows me to be productive in writing code
d. Offers intellisense and statement completion
e. Offers modern code editing experience
18. Overall how satisfied are you with the Visual Studio install experience(1 low 9 high)?
19. How well does Visual Studio support you in the following setup tasks(1 low 9 high)?
a. Keeping the size of the .NET framework appropriate
b. Keeping the size/footprint of Visual Studio product appropriate
c. Reliability of installing Visual Studio
d. Reliability or functionality of other MS products after installing Visual Studio
e. Uninstalling Visual Studio and dependencies
f. Making it easy to recover from issues related to installation/upgrade of VS
20. How well does VS provide you with the right ease of use in the following ways(1 low 9 high)?
a. Provides error messages are appropriate and helpful
b. Discoverability of the commands in the menus, tool bars
c. The ability to customize menus, toolbars and commands
d. Efficient use of monitor space
e. Using the project build system with my projects
f. Project system - management of code and resource assets
g. Allows my developers to create applications targeting multiple versions of the platform
h. I can easily create custom tools (e.g. add-ins, macros, build tasks) to satisfy my unique development needs
i. Ability to satisfy my unique needs with tool extensions that are not shipped with Visual Studio
21. How well does VS provide you with the right update experience in the following ways (1 low 9 high)?
a. Updates improve VS product value
b. Discoverability of updates (e.g. hotfixes, service packs, QFE's, GDR's)
c. Easy to install updates for VS
d. Easy to upgrade VS
e. Allows me to create applications to target languages/locales other than English
22. How well are your needs for acquiring VS supported in the following ways (1 low 9 high)?
a. Ability to easily acquire the product
b. Licensing structure supports my needs
c. Appropriate frequency of releases (major/minor)
23. How do resources provided by Visual Studio and MSDN provide guidance in the following ways (1 low 9 high)?
a. Guidance on when and where to use different features and technologies in building solutions that include VS
b. Guidance on architectural best practices that include the use of VS
c. Right product for my needs
d. How well does VS support your compatibility needs in the following ways (1 low 9 high)?
e. Works well with older assets/technologies since [product version] released
f. Works well with new assets/technologies since [product version] released
g. Allows use of code assets to move smoothly between versions of VS
h. Conforms to standards and interops well with other platforms
i. Allows smooth transition of skills between versions of VS
24. Thinking about performance, how well does VS support the following (1 low 9 high)?
a. Work with large projects
b. Compiler/build performance and throughput
25. Think about productivity, how well does VS make the most of your development time in the following ways please agree/disagree 1 = disagree 9 = agrees
a. My time spent using VS is productive
b. The number of steps to perform a task is reasonable
c. My workflow is rarely interrupted with things I don't know, I don't need, or are unnecessary
d. The number of concepts I need to learn is appropriate
e. Finding tools I want to use is easy
f. Considering your experience when developing [windows client, web, office] applications, how well does VS support your needs of Platform/OS tools in the following ways? Please agree/disagree 1 = disagree 9 = agrees
g. Right level of tooling for MS platform technologies
h. Right number and level of .NET framework APIs to meet my needs
i. Mark up editing experience
j. WYSIWYG design environment
When answering the next few questions, please think about a recent development project your organization has deployed or one that your organization is currently working on that is close to completion.
26. Please rate how geographically distributed the people working on this recent project were, including people helping from outside your own company. For example, if team members were located around the world, the team would be considered “Highly Distributed Geographically”, whereas if all team members were located in the same area, they would be considered “Not Distributed Geographically”.
Not Distributed Geographically Highly distributed geographically
(Located in the same office) (1) (Located around the world) (9)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
27. How important would you say this recent project is to the primary business of the organization that will be using it? For example, the primary business of an insurance company is selling insurance, so an online e-commerce tool which directly impacts this function would be considered very important. However, a tool to track executives’ expense reports which is less involved with selling insurance would be considered less important.
a. Not At All Important Very Important
b. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
28. How important would you say this recent project is to the internal operations of the organization that will be using it? For example, an internal tool used to track sales would be considered very important, while a tool to organize employees’ parking permits would not be.
29. Please rate how structured most of your organization’s development efforts are. In other words, does your organization tend to “jump right in” to projects or plan them out systematically?
a. Not At All Structured Very Structured
30. What one thing could Visual Studio do to support you in your development work?