I have had a couple of customers ask me "Where do i get a product key for Team Foundation Server" and it was pretty embarrasing that i didn't know and had to refer them to either their account manager or Stuart White/Arabind Coomaraswamy. Well that is no longer the case as i have directions for upgrading a Workgroup or Trial editions of TFS.
If when you purchased TFS you also recieved the media for Team Foundation Server the Key is "pre-pidded" in the media. You can extract the key from this media by following the following steps:
- Go to the media
- Open up the 'AT' directory
- Use notepad to open up the setup.sdb file
- Search for "Product Key" in that file
- That product key should allow you to unlock your TFS Trial by entering it into the maintenance mode screen of the trial or workgroup version.
If you didn't get Team Foundation Server media at time of purchase then please follow the instructions below:
Upgrading the Team Foundation Server Software
The following process will upgrade the Team Foundation Server software. If you are upgrading a dual server installation, this procedure only needs to be completed on the application tier machine.
1. From the control panel open Add or Remove Programs. 2. Select Change/Remove on the Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server productThe Maintenance Mode Options screen will appear. Select the last option (Upgrade) and enter the CD Key for the version of the software that you are upgrading to.
Note: If you are a Volume Licensing customer, your install media contains an embedded CD Key that will be difficult for you to extract and enter into this dialog. You should contact Microsoft Technical Support and they can provide you with an appropriate CD Key. For contact information, see http://www.microsoft.com/support. (Australia 13 20 58) Refer to KB Article 908114 and 909628 (very important to quote these to the support agent) when contacting support.3. After clicking next, you will be notified of the services stopping and restarting. This can take several minutes.4. You will next be presented with a Setup complete notification. Select Finish on this screen to complete the upgrade.
If you are upgrading to the Team Foundation Server Workgroup Edition, you will need to complete the following additional steps. Until these steps are completed, the Team Foundation Server will refuse to execute any commands complaining that you are not a licensed user.
1. Go back to control Panel and select to Change/Remove Team Foundation Server2. Select Repair or Reinstall and click Next.
Note: for repair to be successful, your original installation media must be accessible. If you installed the trial version from a CD, you will need to insert that CD into your drive. If your original media is not accessible, the repair will likely fail with a message about not being able to read a file in your TFS installation.
3. On the next screen, enter the TFSService account name and password and click Next.4. On the next screen, enter the TFSReports account name and password and click Next.5. Setup will now start to repair your system. When finished a completion notification will be presented.
Upgrading the SQL Server Edition Supporting Team Foundation ServerIf you installed the SQL Server Evaluation Edition when you installed the Team Foundation Server Trial, you will need to upgrade to the Standard or Enterprise Editions of SQL Server. This upgrade will address the core SQL Server engine as well as SQL Server Analysis Services and SQL Server Reporting Services.
If you have the Team Foundation Server application tier on a separate machine from the data tier, you will need to run through this upgrade on both machines, as the SQL Reporting Services are installed on the application tier box.
1. Backup all your non Team Foundation Server Databases2. If you are upgrading the Team Foundation Server data tier, stop SQL Server Analysis Services 3. If you are upgrading the Team Foundation Server data tier, delete all the files in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\DATA\4. Start the SQL Server installation process, typically by inserting the SQL Server CD into your drive.5. If prompted on the main installation screen, select the option to install "Server components, tools, Books Online and Samples."6. On the End User License Agreement screen, accept the terms and conditions of the SQL Server Install and click Next.7. Setup will automatically install the prerequisite components. Select Next when that is finished.8. Setup will next perform the System Configuration Check. After this is complete, you will automatically be advanced to SQL Server Installation Wizard.9. On the "Welcome to Microsoft SQL Server Installation Wizard page, click Next.10. On the System Configuration Check page, review all errors and warnings and click Next.11. On the Registration Information page, enter your name, your company and the CD Key for your SQL Server Edition. Click Next.12. On the Components to Install page, select all of the components to upgrade.13. On the Instance Name page, select "Default instance" and click Next.14. On the Existing Components page, select all of the components and click Next.15. On the Upgrade Logon Information page, keep the Windows Authentication Mode selection and click Next.16. Setup will proceed with an analysis of the upgrade. When analysis is complete, setup advances to the next page.17. If you are upgrading the Team Foundation Server data tier, you will next be prompted with the Collation Settings page. Select the appropriate collation for your culture.18. On the Error and Usage Report Settings page, select your desired settings for reporting error and usage data to Microsoft.19. On the Ready to Install page, review the list of components to be installed or upgraded. When satisfied, click Install.20. On the Setup Progress page, monitor the installation progress. When all components have been installed successfully, click Next.21. On the Completing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup page, click Finish.22. If you are upgrading the Team Foundation Server data tier, restart Analysis Services.23. Restore the Team System Analysis Services db by running setupwarehouse as follows. If your application tier and data tier machines are separate, you must perform this step on the application tier machine. Substitute your domain and account names for your TFS Service and Reporting Services accounts for Domain, TFSService, and TFSReports respectively:
%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Foundation Server\Tools\setupwarehouse.exe -o -s YOURSQLSERVERNAME -d TfsWarehouse -c Warehouseschema.xml -a Domain\TFSService -ra Domain\TFSReports24. In a web browser, navigate to http://localhost:8080/warehouse/v1.0/warehousecontroller.asmx. Follow the hyperlink labeled "Run" and click the "Invoke" button to invoke the Run method on the web service. This will initiate processing of the warehouse cube and may take several hours to complete.