I hope everyone is having a great holiday. This seems a good a time as any to talk about vacation because vacation is one of the great luxuries you get as a full time salary employee.
Vacation is awesome for two reasons:
1. You get paid to do nothing
2. It’s flexible
The first point should be obvious and resonate with anyone that has held an hourly job and had to sacrifice pay to take time off work.
Flexibility, though, is an often overlooked benefit of vacation. Generally you will get more time off in school than you will at work, but vacation can be used at any time given enough advanced warning. An example of how vacation is better than time off from school is how my family tried to get us all to go somewhere warm for Spring break one year, but between my two brothers and I none of our Spring break vacations overlapped.
School time off is totally inflexible. Taking a week off any time during the year that does not fall into the allotted time off will mean cutting class, usually an unacceptable thing to do resulting in “No you can’t retake the test”, “I’m sorry you tried to have fun” and lastly “I guess we’ll be seeing you again next semester!” With vacation, you tell your boss when you are leaving and (with their approval) you are off on the exact days you want to be gone.
So let’s review:
· A college “gives” you an allotted amount of weeks off.
· You will probably take on a job during the “break” to try and earn money.
· You do it when they say or else.
· Sometimes, if you are extra special, time off falls in the middle of a course and you get course work to work on over the break.
But outside in the real world:
· A company gives you an allotted amount of weeks to do as you please.
· They pay you to do it.
· They let you do it whenever you want.
· You better not do any work or coworkers will yell at you for not having enough fun.
Work life is sweet.