I do a lot of recruiting and tech fest trips. I look at these times off of work as mini vacations. I get to travel to new places or back to old places and see friends from school. I get to use the company credit card to buy food, hotel and rental car (I don’t know why, but this is fun in my mind). I get to say I’m going to be gone and not work on bugs or answer email, though I occasionally log in to prevent lots of email from piling up.
However I also accomplish things that I generally don’t get done while at home. Why would I need to fly to another state or country to do something? Simply because there isn’t anything else to do!
If I’m at home, there’s a big TV with an Xbox or friends, or parties or a computer with which to fix bugs with. In general I find the motivation to go out on weekends and accomplish chores to be very low (see A Tale of Pants)
I present a small list of “chores” I’ve done while on a business trip:
· Bought clothing
· Bought a new carry on bag, which I just added as a second checked bag to get it home.
· Bought new towels (which got stuffed into the above new bag).
· Bought Buffalo chicken wing sauce from a favorite college restaurant.
· Wrote blog posts (including this one!)
· Logged into my home computer remotely and organized music.
· Got a haircut.
· Bought a Halloween costume.
· Read lots of books I checked out from the library the day before.
· Listened to new CDs
· Setup grocery delivery for a day when I got back.
· Watched movies I hadn’t had time to see before.