I have left Microsoft and this blog is no longer under my control. All of the content should remain for some time however and any new updates can be found at http://davedev.net.
-Dave, September 2013
Scott Guthrie has done it again and posted an amazing first look at Silverlight 2.0. Make sure to hop on over to his blog and check out the detailed tutorials he has on what to expect in Silverlight 2.0.
Some highlights in this updated release of Silverlight will include:
· Rich Networking Support: Silverlight 2 includes rich networking support. It includes out of the box support for calling REST, WS*/SOAP, POX, RSS, and standard HTTP services. It supports cross domain network access (enabling Silverlight clients to directly access resources and data from resources on the web). Beta1 also includes built-in sockets networking support.
As an example, he creates a Silverlight 2.0 application using just a few lines of C# and XAML code that uses the Digg.com's (Shout out to Alex and Kevin - I've watched you guys since TechTV thanks for all the great podcasts!) REST API to show how easy it is to pull data from any source on the web and show it in a really rich way. Not only that, it is running in Safari!
Check it out here!
Expect to hear more exciting things in the days ahead with just 10 days left to go till MIX08!
"The King of Kong - A Fistful of Quarters". Quite the title, eh? I had heart the buzz about this movie, but didn't get to see it myself until recently. Totally awesome! Being a child of the 80s, a gamer, and a father this movie really hit home with me. Which is why I don't know how I missed this one (having a new baby does that I guess, hehe) but Steve Wiebe (along with referee Walter Day!) will be at the Mix08 party.
Steve is going to try and break the new record set by Billy at Mix! But wait? Didn't the movie end with an update that Steve took the title away from Billy via Video submission in early 2007? I though so too and then I checked out the Twin Galaxies Scoreboard. Looks like Billy took it back last June and via Referee! The battle rages on...
Check out the video by Steve up on the Mix Site. For those attending MIX this should be a blast! I plan to be at the party myself and will share my experiences with you here as well. =)
Join middle-school science teacher, Steve Wiebe, on the evening of Tuesday, March 4th for a special MIX screening of New Line Cinema's "The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters.” The movie, featuring Steve Wiebe and Billy Mitchell’s quest to see who is the true King of Kong, will be followed by a Q&A session with Steve, producer Ed Cunningham, and Twin Galaxies referee Walter Day. Then, on Wednesday, March 5th, watch Steve try to recapture his world record at the MIX attendee party at TAO.
Well, I am back to work today. =) One of the great things about working for Microsoft is that they give fathers a month off paid leave for having a new baby. I was nervous about doing this - how I was going to handle a 3 year old all day long let alone a newborn? It has been a month since my second daughter was born - and I have no regrets taking off the time, although I could have used a little more sleep.
· My wife is amazing, I truly understand what she will have to deal with now on a daily basis and am in awe.
· I could never be a full time mom
· My 3 yr old does not have an off switch
· I thought I would be able to get some work done - e-mail, blogging, Silverlight videos, etc. over the leave. I was wrong - my kids consumed every moment I had unless they were asleep and then I was too tired to do anything anyway. =)
· My daughter asked if she could have her own computer. I hooked up an old laptop and put windows on it. She was on NickJr and clicking away with the mouse on games, videos, you name it. I was so impressed – expect a video on Facebook soon. She is definitely daddy’s girl!
· Being able to calm my newborn every night at 3am without any bottle (my wife is breastfeeding so no bottles for dad yet)
· My oldest holding the baby and telling me how happy she is to finally have a sister
I have a photoset on Flickr here and you can view some videos I took on my Facebook profile here.
I'll be catching up on e-mails and such over the next few days and posting here as I found stuff I think would be interesting. There should be some really exciting news coming out of Redmond soon as we move into Mix08 in just 2 weeks as well!
Mix08 is sold out! Official announcement here. I am lucky enough this year to be attending in person (and it is also my first time to Vegas). Shoot me an e-mail if you will be out there as well and would like to meet up.
For those of you who cannot attend in person most of the sessions will be posted online like at previous Mix events. This is one of the best resources on the web and I highly encourage you to check it out. There are some really great ones on Silverlight, WPF and Expression.
The search is pretty good too, typing in "Silverlight" will give you a bunch of good sessions.
Check it out here.
See you at MIX!