I have left Microsoft and this blog is no longer under my control. All of the content should remain for some time however and any new updates can be found at http://davedev.net.
-Dave, September 2013
Well, I am back to work today. =) One of the great things about working for Microsoft is that they give fathers a month off paid leave for having a new baby. I was nervous about doing this - how I was going to handle a 3 year old all day long let alone a newborn? It has been a month since my second daughter was born - and I have no regrets taking off the time, although I could have used a little more sleep.
· My wife is amazing, I truly understand what she will have to deal with now on a daily basis and am in awe.
· I could never be a full time mom
· My 3 yr old does not have an off switch
· I thought I would be able to get some work done - e-mail, blogging, Silverlight videos, etc. over the leave. I was wrong - my kids consumed every moment I had unless they were asleep and then I was too tired to do anything anyway. =)
· My daughter asked if she could have her own computer. I hooked up an old laptop and put windows on it. She was on NickJr and clicking away with the mouse on games, videos, you name it. I was so impressed – expect a video on Facebook soon. She is definitely daddy’s girl!
· Being able to calm my newborn every night at 3am without any bottle (my wife is breastfeeding so no bottles for dad yet)
· My oldest holding the baby and telling me how happy she is to finally have a sister
I have a photoset on Flickr here and you can view some videos I took on my Facebook profile here.
I'll be catching up on e-mails and such over the next few days and posting here as I found stuff I think would be interesting. There should be some really exciting news coming out of Redmond soon as we move into Mix08 in just 2 weeks as well!
PingBack from http://www.biosensorab.org/2008/02/20/lessons-learned-from-a-father-of-two/