I just saw this message on our internal bug reporting listserv and I wanted to share. The user was having trouble opening a notebook on SharePoint, the user was getting an error saying “OneNote cannot open the specified location”.
The reason for the error was because the WebClient service is not enabled; which OneNote needs enabled for file-locks. Vista Server 2008 does not have this service enabled by default and if you are running Windows Server 2008 (2k8) you might have this problem. To enable the service, go to Control Panel => Administrative tools => Services => WebClient and click Start (and probably make it automatic).
PingBack from http://www.travel-hilarity.com/airline_travel/?p=4269
Even if the web client service is running you can still get this error if the fully qualified url, including the file name, exceeds 260 charaters (html encoded meaning that things like a space are 3 characters)
Thank you for your kind and quick response.
I just checked the webclient but it was allready set to automatic. This sure is a tough problem. Our project team is comitted to OneNote so I must find a way. Our XP machines have no trouble. Any other ideas?
Thank you again.
I ran into the same problem and resolved it by re-starting the WebClient service.
I restarted the WebClient service and did not work, but will reboot and see if that helps
Try installing SP1 on Vista if you have this problem
I had this problem.
I uninstalled and re-installed OneNote and now it works.
Now the problem is back. None of the above solutions worked.
So I guess I'm going to uninstall and reinstall OneNote again.
I wish I could understand what this error message actually meant
In Windows 2008, adding the Desktop Experience feature resolves the problem. You can add Desktop Experience feature by going to Features in the Server Manager.
In Windows 2008, adding the Desktop Experience feature resolves the problem. To add Desktop Experience feature go to Features in the Server Manager then select Desktop Experience and follow the Add Features Wizard.
I had a Windows Vista installation and OneNote worked fine with Sharpoint. After an automatic update in April 2010 I hat the same problem as reported above. All other computers with Windows 7 and One Note work fine. The recent automatic updates must have installed or set something wrong but I don't know what. Any idea?
I have the similar problem since update of April 2010 but what I don't understand is I have 11 laptops with Vista and only 3 of them is giving me the problem. They're exactly setup the same way and all updates that Vista found were applied. But then I checked one that work and a few updates wheren't installed and didn't show up on a update search. Anyways, they must have something different in the office system installation.
After uninstalling this update work fine for me. Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB981715)
Hope this help.
Thank You gcarleton
Restarting Web Client Service Worked in a Blink.
For This issue... go to services from Start Menu. open Webclient service and start it or stop and restart it. it worked for me
Having this issue on Windows 7 w/ Office 365. The WebClient service was not running, but starting it and making it automatic didn't help. :-/