P1010505My Audiotron continues to be one of my favourite household gadgets, it's a Win CE device (Win CE 3x, I think) and streams music off a Windows File Share, the device must be nearly 10 years old and was built in a less hostel era when security models were simpler.  Alas Turtlebeach don't make these devices any more, but I know there are a lot of them kicking around and have spotted various postings on getting them to play with Windows Server 2003 and Vista, but none for Windows Server 2008, so surprise surprise getting it to work was a combination of Windows Vista and Server 2003 tweaks. 

Getting the Audiotron to communicate with more modern operating systems such as Windows Vista or Windows Serer 2008 requires relaxing some security settings which could make the system more vulnerable to attack, so the you need to be aware of potential risks, so buyer/tweaker beware and this does not represent in any shape or form best practices but the risk profile for my home server is minimal (lol, no this is not an invitation:) )!!  I stream the music files to the Audiotron using a network of Netcomm Ethernet over Powerline adapters as I found them way more reliable than wifi.

I made the following changes mostly around negotiating security levels using a combination of the Local Security Policy Manager and Regedit - see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=17936 plus the references below for more information on the mechanics of making these changes.  It would probably a good idea to Export (backup) your registry before making these changes...

Required settings:-

  1. Microsoft Network Server: Digitally Sign Communications (always): Disable
  2. Microsoft Network Server: Digitally Sign Communications (if client agrees): Enable
  3. Network Security: Do not store LAN Manager Hash value on next password change: Disable
  4. Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level: Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated

I rebooted the server, reset the password for the Audiotron user in active directory - a mandatory step!!  Checked all the Audiotron device security settings, set the the user name in @ format, ie audiotron@mydomain.local, cycled the power on the device and it magically connected to the file share and it rebuilt the music catalogue - yeh hah, I'm a happy chappy:)

 

Some useful reference resources are:-

  1. http://support.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/114415241.asp
  2. http://www.sturmnet.org/blog/archives/2007/04/30/audiotron-with-vista-file-server/
  3. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823659

 

Hope this helps someone!!

Cheers Dave