Get started with Windows 8 development. This is the instruction for your machine and hands on labs setup.
Instruction for Machine Setup:
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
- RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
- Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
Window 8 RTM
- Go to “Download Windows 8 RTM” session
- “MSDN Subscriber Downloads” if you have MSDN subscription
- “Evaluation Center” for a trial version
Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8
- Go to “Download the tools and SDK” session
- Click “Download now” button
Install Windows 8 RTM
- Choose one of the options below that will work the best for you
- Note: Use the Windows 8 RTM downloaded above instead of any of other Windows 8 preview versions mentioned in the instruction below
Option 1: Install Windows 8 From USB
Use this option, if you want to do a clean install
Options 2: Install Windows 8 from VHD (Virtual Hard Disk)
Use this option, if you want to install Windows 8 from VHD with Windows 7 already installed
Option 3: Install Windows 8 in a Virtual Box
Use this option, if you don’t want to change anything in your current environment. Make sure your machine has the system requirements specified at the beginning to install a Virtual Box and put Windows 8 RTM into it.
Option 4: Install Windows 8 on Mac
You can use both Option 3 and Option 4 if you are using a Mac.
|Install Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8 |
After you have installed Windows 8 RTM on your machine, install Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8
Instruction for Hands On Lab
Preparation for Hackathon
- Think about what you want to develop and collect all the resources you may need if you plan to start from scratch.
- Bring your favorite HTML5/Web application and transform it into a Windows 8 application.