Incase you haven't seen this, the beta for Visual Studio 2008 SP1 is now available.
We've put a lot of work into this SP1 release, mostly around bug fixes for bugs that you reported on the forums and through tech support (mostly forums), as well as bugs our test and dev teams reported. We've also managed to slip a few extra features into the release.
The download is here.
I highly recommend you install the beta and report back any issues ASAP so we can be sure to get them rolled into the final release.
One issue to be aware of is if you are running using test agents, the agent, controller, and all clients must match the SP1 version. Unfortunately the controller and agent uses .NET remoting object serialization, which makes it very sensitive to any changes in the objects that are being passed back and forth.
New features (we'll be blogging about these in separate posts):
Team Level 1
Load Test Team
Support random extraction of matches using extract text rule
DCR: Add Web test and load test extensibility points to support partners
Test Infrastructure Team
Enable Dual NIC controller scenarios
Bugs fixed (I’ve highlighted ones you may find interesting):
VS crashes due to InvalidOperationException in load test monitor when running load test that hits many unique URLs
Extra threads created when running load test containing unit tests on multi-agent rig causing out of memory exception
Loadtest DB: Installing the controller should not drop an existing database.
Goal-based profile - user load adjustment is based on 'ideal' user load instead of actual user load
Cookies: We're not handling cookie expirations properly.
LoadTest: When OutOfMemory exception stops load test on one agent in multi-agent test some load test results data is lost.
Incorrect requests being recorded for Ajax site
Form fields can be recorded twice
Loadtest: Test times are inaccurate at less than 15 milliseconds.
DTS: Web Recorder does not record request when Content type is missing
DTS: Webtest Recorded in 2005 will not record in 2008
WebTest.WebProxy property does not work
Hidden Field Name appears as GUID when uploading file to sharepoint
Custom Load Profiles: Having a MinUserCount > MaxUserCount throws the wrong exception.
Performance overhead of new PostPage event is too high
Webtest: Think times set on the first request are ignored.
Orcas Web Test: View response in html editor does not work
LoadTestPlugin can't set the user load higher than the max user load for the scenario
Test View has huge delays
Visual Studio crashes when calling AddCommentToResult in a WebTestRequestPlugin
Web Browser tab in Web Test result shows broken page on JPN OS.
Can't set Outcome on web test or request
Copy/Paste from the webtest playback window on virtual PC crashes orcas.
The default for the load test run setting "Run unit tests in application domain" should be true
File upload parameters with no actual file causes the web test engine to throw an exception.
Wininet recorder: ID field not correlated properly when uploading files to sharepoint.
Copying a Load profile from the UI yields a cast error.
Load test user load ramps up to quickly during warmup period
Load Test should honor the ApartmentState setting in the Test Run Config file
Thinktime that's set via plugin code is ignored
LoadTest aborts when test throws an exception with a quote in the stack trace
Loadtest Analyzer: Error when trying to bring up the loadtest analyzer after a test that stops very quickly.
LoadTest: Goal profile performance counter should be sampled at least every 5 seconds
WebTest: User code can't set values in the WebTestContext if the property has been set in an env variable on in the LoadTestContext
Network emulation doesn't work correctly with compression
Loc: String "Whidbey" appears in Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Resource.dll
VSPro 2008 won't show test lists created on VSTS2008
Test runs with load test and any other test type get stuck
CodeGen for IIS website code failed in generating the private accessor
Upgrade a Whidbey test project in VSTD2008 will fail
SP1 patch setup fails on VSTS with controller/agent installed
Fix perf tests that are failing from time to time in QFE (TechEase ticket 143089)
Publishing load tests fails in TFS SP1
Multi-agent: Could not start two load tests in paralell on different agents
Watson - unhandled TeamFoundationServerUnauthorizedException crashed devenv.exe
Out of memory error when publishing test cases using MSTest
MSTest can't run codedwebtests when alone errors with assembly is not trusted
Unit Test Team
Invalid AppDomain.CurrentDomain.BaseDirectory in VS 2008 Unit Test Runner
Unit Testing: App Domain naming creates issues with performance counters
Unit Test Generation fails for default WCF service
Ordered tests created in VS2005 are not automatically upgraded in VSTD 2008
DTS: IDE in 2008 responds slow compared to IDE in 2005 in a test Project with over 9000 unit test
VSTestHost specificies LoaderOptimization.MultiDomain as the default, causes various problems
Unit testing fails in asp.net hosted in iis
I hope you find this useful, and by all means please download and use SP1 beta!