We came across a recent issue where we have a new Windows Server 2008 R2 with nothing else installed other then the AX 2009 Workflow extensions and the server has been patched with the latest windows update patches that includes asp.net 4.0. The application pool of the workflow web service was already modified as per http://blogs.msdn.com/b/emeadaxsupport/archive/2010/01/05/unable-to-validate-the-ax-2009-workflow-webservice-url-on-a-windows-server-2008-r2-x64.aspx, however when you tried to validate the workflow infrastructure configuration wizard, you get the same error:
The request failed with HTTP status 405: Method Not Allowed
To troubleshoot this, we verified that the workflow folder had the appropriate NTFS permissions, and that the application pool runs as .net framework 2.0 classic and not 4.0. However when we browse one of the web service pages, AxWorkItem.asmx, we get the following error:
HTTP Error 404.17 - Not FoundThe requested content appears to be script and will not be served by the static file handler.
This indicates we have an asp.net handler issue and it cannot find the correct handler to process the .asmx file. So looking at the handler mappings for the MicrosoftDynamicsAXWorkflow50 application, identified that there was only one *.asmx handler and this was mapped to ASP.NET 4.0 (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll)
We tried re-registering asp.net 2.0 using aspnet_regiis.exe but this did not help. However just deleting the virtual application and recreating it again manually using IIS Manager, recreated it with all the default required asp.net 2.0 handlers and this resolved the issue.
Steps we took to resolve:
(1) Deleted MicrosoftDynamicsAXWorkflow50 virtual directory in IIS, under the default web site
(2) Created a new Application called MicrosoftDynamicsAXWorkflow50 and set the application pool to MicrosoftDynamicsAXWorkflow50 and physical path to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics AX\50\Workflow
(3) Ensured that the application pool settings was set as per http://blogs.msdn.com/b/emeadaxsupport/archive/2010/01/05/unable-to-validate-the-ax-2009-workflow-webservice-url-on-a-windows-server-2008-r2-x64.aspx
(4) In the Authentication settings for MicrosoftDynamicsAXWorkflow50, ensure Anonymous is disabled and only ASP.NET Impersonation and WOndows Authentication are enabled
(5) In the Handler mappings for MicrosoftDynamicsAXWorkflow50, ensure there are 3 entries named WebServiceHandlerFactory-ISAPI-2.0_32bit... mapped to the *.asmx path.