Lately we run into very strange problem. On Dynamics Ax Enterprise Portal which was installed on SharePoint 2010 user was not able to access Customers site. The user could log into Enterprise Portal and see other pages so the rights where correctly set up in Dynamics Ax as well in SharePoint (as given in Microsoft Dynamics AX Enterprise Portal Administration Guide). But still the Customers site was loading very long and in the end we got blank page.
In SharePoint logs (look also into View diagnostic logs (SharePoint Server 2010)) we could find error that we get time out:
The issue was solved when user was added to Local Administrator group on SharePoint 2010 server. Of course such a solution is no solution as you cannot add all Enterprise Portal users to local admin group. But this gave us the an idea that it could be something with security settings and problems with accessing resources. We decided to do following steps:
1. Use Process Monitor Download Process Monitor http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx
2. Run it on IIS Web server
3. Replicate the problem We fond out that user had no access to temporary directory
After adding the rights for user into folder C:\Users\TEMP\AppData\Local\Temp\ it worked fine on this environment on the other environment we have to give access to different path. Basically when it needs to stream large data it needs to create a temp file, and the file is created in the context of the user requesting the data. The business connector will check if both the AXTMP and AXTEMP variables are present, if not, it tries to create a temporary file whereever the Windows TEMP variable is pointing to and web users will not necessarily have access to that path.
The solution in the end is to do the following.
The issue is happening because of Setup issue of Dynamics AX 2009. We need to set global environmental path should be defined for temporary files for Dynamics Ax:
(1) Create a folder on the Enterprise Portal Server on the file system (e.g, c:\AXTEMP)
(2) Set the NTFS permissions on this folder such that all AX Enterprise Portal users have FULL control to this folder.
(3) Go to Control Panel > System, and click on “Advanced system settings”
(4) In System Properties window, click on “Environment Variables…” button
(5) Create two system variables AXTMP and AXTEMP and set the value to the folder created in Step (1)
(6) Do the above on all web front-ends hosting Enterprise Portal
(7) When convenient, restart IIS by running IIRESET.EXE /norestart on all web front-ends