[Blog Map] This blog is inactive. New blog: EricWhite.com/blog
I've written an MSDN article, Using the SharePoint 2010 Managed Client Object Model, that provides the basics on using the Client Object Model. Many thanks to Michael Cheng of the client object model team for technically reviewing the article, and providing me with many suggestions that improved it.
The article Using the SharePoint 2010 Client Object Model with the Open XML SDK 2.0 provides additional information around uploading and downloading files from a document library, as well as examples that modify Open XML documents using the Open XML SDK.
Very good, detailed and neat article..
Thanks Ashwin, I'm glad you like it.
Very nice article.
I'm running into a problem though with your very simple first example code. I'm getting an (500) Internal Server Error when the call to ExecuteQuery runs. I've looked through the server side logs, to no avail. I've tried "googling" for any hint I could find, also to no avail.
I've checked and double checked the DB permissions, and they seem correct. Note for my testing purposes, I installed SP in "standalone" mode (using local admin acct to install everything).
(500) is a pretty vague error. Do you have hints on where I might start to ferret out the problem? I've been at this the better part of the day and I'm out of ideas. I admit I'm a complete SP newbie.
Hi Cole, I don't have any idea about this. One thing to check - make sure that you are using the right client-side DLLs for the specific build of SP.
Very nice article. Every byte has been explained in detail. Keep it up.
Hey Eric, Thanks for detailed article.
Is there anyway to change the custom properties of a webpart from Silverlight using client object model??
Hi MS guy, I checked with Steve Fox (one of the experts in this area), and he said, "Not out of the box. You could potentially write this across using InitParams."
Cool 1 :) keep up the gud work . .
Thanks, I will! -Eric
Its a avery good article. you article is one stop shop for Client Object Model
Hi Vamsi, glad you like it. I'm very enthused about the client object model. I have more to write about it when I get time!
Really nice article with most of the crucial info required to startup with client object model.
However, do u know how to check whether a particular field title exists in a list or not.
i have following queries, can you please reply.
1. How to check for null value of a variable which stores either a list ,library, field etc when we just assign its value from the ClientContext.Web
2. How to check whether a list/library contains a particular field or not
Hello Eric,I have a Question,
I am developing assembly free solutions using client object model and Ecma script,i have created a leave application using sharepoint designer which talks with the lists and server data using ecma script with client object model and Jquery,In that i have created a workflow using sharepoint designer,i.e is leave approvell workflow,there is a list "LeaveApplications".whenever a new item created or updated in this list a workflow get initiated which have some procedures to work through.i am saving this site as a template and later uploading the same solution to create another site using this template,the issue is my workflow is giving an error ,it gets initiated but not works,Can i make somehow my workflow to workflow..In an assemblly free way.???
Please reply : firstname.lastname@example.org
I checked with the dev team, here's what they said:
Looks like his workflow is not working after packaging. I think he might be using an Approval workflow and an Approval workflow when run on packaged site threw errors in older builds. This should work in the newer builds.
1) The workarounds for him might be republishing the workflow (or)
2) Deleting the xsn forms and republishing the workflows
i have allready tried with republishing it let me check one more time by deleting xsn forms.
I have an answer for you...
I am using sharepoint designer for my ecma script code,in the early phrase of my development i also used to get such creepy errors "this field doesnt exist in the list",
So what i do these days :
Actually in sharepoint we have two names associted for a field,one which we display and other which is used for retrieving values from it i.e static name.
like if i use "End Date" as field name, but its static name will be "End_x200_Date"something.
So thats why we usually get error,even if we have field there in list,
So while debugging sometime i check with fieldvalues();
to get the field names.
Or we can get the field static name by checking the source of the list page and also by looking into the "url" when click on that field in the list.
I dont know what is the need for using two different names like this,and why not they have solved this field name spacing problem in sharepoint2010.
Excellent post. I also have written some articles on SharePoint 2010. Check it here.
i am trying to connect to a SharePoint over HTTPS(SSL). I am getting an error when I call ExecuteQuery().
I am using the RemoteCertificateValidationCallback to authorize the certificate.
Sorry, I didnt mention the error.
"The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error".