David Christiansen lives in Glasgow, I live in Seattle. Before today, we were just two guys on the other side of the world (though we actually came within a few 100 feet of one another). Now through a set of circumstances and thanks to Tech-Ed Europe, blogs, email, twitter, facebook, linkedin and IM we've become friends. Here's the chronology of how we met.

Fri, November 9th, 9AM

David attends my Tech-Ed EMEA talk on Building RIAs with WCSF. We don't meet.

Fri, November 9th, 9:45 AM

David twitters about attending the talk

Tue, November 20th, 11:00 PM

Whilst searching on the net I come across David's tweet about my talk. (We'll save that for another post)

Tue, November 20th, 11:30 PM

Through David's twitter profile, I find my way to his blog and leave a comment.

Wed, November 21st, 1:30 AM

David emails me in response to my comment

Wed, November 21st, 7:00 AM

I wake up feeling miserable as I've been suffering from an awful cold. I decide to take a sick day.

Wed, November 21st, 7:56 AM

I reply to David and we we start exchanging mails over several hours. David mentions he is having some issues installing WCSF on Vista.

Wed, November 21st, 9:30 AM

I go to the doctor.

Wed, November 21st, 11:21 AM

David and I start to move the conversation to IM and start a marathon chat. Topics include everything from how to Install WCSF, my Talk, Agile, Scrum, ALT.NET, working at Microsoft, being a CTO, user groups, working insane hours, working in startup, tempering one's ego, how to keep up with different technologies, etc.

Wed, November 21st, 2:00 PM

My wife rolls her eyes at me (not unusual)...."What are you up to?"

Wed, November 21st,  3:00 PM

We're still chatting. Now we add each other to FaceBook and connect on LinkedIn. We start talking about personal topics like Being a Dad, Mountain biking, travelling, etc .

Wed, November 21st, 3:30 PM

My daughter is looking at videos of David's baby that he posted on this FB profile. 'Daddy, I want to see the baby, play it again".

Wed, November 21st, 4:00 PM

We finally stop chatting having each made a new friend.

David is one really cool dude and we had a great time "hanging out" (too bad we couldn't meet in person). For me this was a remarkable experience which made me reflect on the impact technology is having on social interactions. The word "meet" is taking on a whole different meaning. Although there are several new ways to meet, they each have their place and provide new and interesting ways to interact. In this case they all worked together allowing the introduction of two guys from two cities. The other benefit was making me forget all about my rotten cold. ;)