Action Step Workflow
Why this feature is cool!
Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 offers an “approval” workflow, which routes objects to various individuals for document approval based on user specified field values of the transaction in question. However, organizations typically have additional processes that they follow when creating a master record, such vendors, or when creating transactions, such as Purchase Orders or Quotes. Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 includes the added ability to perform an “action step” workflow which helps users take action for a specific business process.
These business processes may require the routing of the record for an action that needs to take place before the record can be used or posted within the system. Often times these actions need to take place outside of Microsoft Dynamics GP. For example when setting up a new vendor, a user may need to perform a check with the Better Business Bureau. The action step feature allows for the creation of a workflow task that indicates to the user that they need to perform the check before the vendor can be used in the system. Action step workflow features include:
· Create a workflow that is customized to the organization’s process.
· Assign an activity to a user based on criteria of the record.
· Users can be notified of an activity that needs to be completed in Microsoft Office SharePoint (either Windows SharePoint Services or Microsoft Office SharePoint Server), Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010.
· Action tasks are flagged with “ACTION NEEDED” on all notifications.
· Users can mark the task as complete, reject the task, or delegate the activity to another user.
What does it look like?
Alerts/Notifications from the Home Page:
Alerts/Notifications from SharePoint:
Does this require GP business portal or can it work with MOSS 2007 alone without the business portal?
Can it be used for accounts payable workflows? For instance if I create a new voucher in AP can approval be assigned to a department manager who does not have access to GP, but has sharepoint. Can the manager action it from Sharepoint. Also, can more than one person be required to approve an action?
Workflow does NOT require Business Portal at all, and it will work in MOSS 2007. With Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010, you'll also be able to use Workflow with Windows SharePoint Services (soon to be renamed Microsoft SharePoint Foundation) so the full version of SharePoint won't be required.
The only "purchasing" workflows we will have out of the box with GP 2010 are Payables batch approval, Purchase Order document approval, and New Vendor approval. Users do NOT need a GP login to approve the documents, as approvals can be done from SharePoint (or the GP interface if they have a login). And finally, YES, more than one person can be required to approve an action!
Question - A follow-up - how can we get AP invoice approval in GP 10.0 today as described in the request above using Sharepoint
Version 10.0 includes the following workflows out of the box in Purchasing:
* Accounts Payable Batch approval
* Purchase Order approval
There are many online training courses that help Partners install and configure these, so I would have to refer you to the Microsoft Learning Center for more information.
If in Dynamics GP 2010 Microsoft Sharepoint Services can be used instead of Sharepoint Server is there something not available with Sharepoint services and workflow versus workflow with Sharepoint Server. Also, will Outlook to approvel workflow be available with 2010 if using Sharepoint services.
Can you actually worfklow enable any business process within Dynamics GP? For example: if Payable Invoice amount is greater than 10,000 then send to workflow before Saving or Posting is allowed.
Not quite. The options for workflow in GP 2010 are as follows:
* There are 9 out of the box workflows for defined business processes. These include options such as Purchase Order, GL/AP/AR Batches, HR Onboarding, etc.
* There is 1 workflow for Electronic Signatures which can be enabled for a number of different business processes within the context of how Electronic Signatures works. Basically, if you can setup an Electronic Signature on a form to enable the elec. signature process when/where you want it, you can workflow enable this to allow Non Dynamics GP customers to participate in the workflow/signature process. While this option will work for many scenarios, it will not cover EVERY business process in the system likely.
I hope this helps!
#1. Can workflows be embedded with hyperlinks to External Lists? This way we could also allow end users to update information during the approve/reject operation.
#2. To be able to use External Lists, we need Web Services (not eConnect).
#2. Do all users (external/internal) using the Approval Workflow/External Lists via WSS 2007 or SharePoint Foundatoin 2010 require a Dynamics GP Light User license?
#1. By default you cannot include a link to an External list in the Workflow process, unless a user manually pastes the URL in as a comment.
#2. Good catch!
#3. Yes, unless they are doing their approvals in the GP Client. If they are not a full user, then they'd need the Light User license.
Can I create more than one workflow? I have buyers in different departments who need the workflow to flow in a different direction.
Can I create more than one workflow? I have buyers in different departments that I want the workflow to flow differently.
Why can't I delete a workflow step? I can click delete, but nothing happens.
Yes you can delete a workflow step. Refresh your browser and you should see the change.