It is with great excitement, we are announcing the availability of the second of the two Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 RTM VPC images. The VPC that is available starting today is called “Core-Plus.” Many of you have been waiting for the comprehensive (i.e. Business Portal, Dashboards, Workflow…etc!) Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 RTM VPC and we are here to say that the wait is over! Here are the details:
What is the Platform Utilized for this Technical Demonstration Toolkit?
Many of you are aware that we adopted HyperV technology for the BETA Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 Technical Demonstration Toolkits. HyperV really gave us some great performance gains and allow us to truly demo the full Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 solution by supporting 64-bit guest operating systems (required by Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010.) With this technology, it also presented some administrative challenges (running HyperV on your laptops….etc.) Well, we listened. “Core-Plus” utilizes the Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1 platform.
Why did you name this new Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 RTM VPC “Core-Plus?”
We named the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 RTM VPC “Core-Plus” because it is designed for more of the “Advanced Management” type demonstrations “plus” all of the “Core” Business Essentials type demonstrations. These demonstration toolkits focus on the broad spectrum of capabilities that Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 has to offer. Management Reporter for Microsoft Dynamics ERP is also installed and configured on this VPC. We have also included Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus. Functionality like Workflow and Business Portal ARE ENABLED on this VPC. In all, this new Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 RTM “Core-Plus” VPC is a very comprehensive and powerful demonstration tool.
What Are the Key Programs Installed?
1. Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 (RTM) – FULL INSTALL
2. Management Reporter for Microsoft Dynamics ERP
3. Business Portal 5.0 for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010
4. Workflow for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010
5. Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 Dashboards
6. Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2
7. Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
8. Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
9. Microsoft SQL Server Report Builder 2.0
10. Microsoft SQL Server 2008 SRS Reports for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010
11. Microsoft Office 2010 – Professional Plus
12. Word Forms for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010
13. Audit Trails and Electronic Signatures
14. Advanced Human Resources and Payroll
15. Extender, SmartList Builder, Excel Report Builder and Navigation List Builder
16. IW Specific Demonstrations
Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 RTM “Core-Plus” VPC PartnerSource Download Page:
When you download and extract the files for the new Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 RTM “Core-Plus” VPC, you will see an IMPORTANT INFORMATION folder. This folder contains the “How To Setup and Use “Core-Plus” document. This document is a KEY document which contains important information on how to setup and use the new “Core-Plus” VPC. The VPC Skills Builder Best Practices document is another key document that can help you optimize the performance of the VPC. You will also see the zipped up: Online MR Training Course (There are no training manuals for MR at this time.) Within this folder, you will find word docs and power points that are very informative regarding Management Reporter. We have also included the help files for the Professional Services Tools Library. This toolset can help you customize Microsoft Dynamics GP Master Record Data….etc. Finally, you will find a Extender/SmartListBuilder/Excel Report Builder Demonstration Script. For your information, this “IMPORTANT INFORMATION” Folder is also on the Desktop of the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 RTM “Core-Plus” VPC.
Does this have Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Installed?
No. Unfortunately, Microsoft Virtual PC only supports 32 Bit guest operating systems, so we will not be able to integrate with Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 (new External List functionality.)
What about HyperV?
As mentioned previously when we launched the “CoreMR” VPC, we will convert “CoreMR” and “Core-Plus” over to the HyperV platform, for those of you who choose to utilize HyperV. This will take place in late September- early October.
Is Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 Service Pack 1 Installed on this VPC? How about “CoreMR?”
No. Unfortunately, SP1 was released yesterday (9/22/10.) As a result, we did not have the time to install and test the new service pack. We will test it, and provide an updated “CoreMR” and “Core-Plus” GP 2010 RTM VPC as soon as possible.
What about a Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 or Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Integrated VPC?
In October, we will be taking the “CoreMR” VPC and installing Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 and the Connector For Microsoft Dynamics. We will likely provide a HyperV version as well. The Connector for Microsoft Dynamics will not likely be compatible with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 and Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 until Calendar Q4 2010/Calendar Q1 2011. We will look to create a demonstration toolkit that integrates Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 and Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 as soon as possible.
Important Points to Remember:
1. We highly encouraged you to view the “Core-Plus” Setup/Introduction Video: Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 RTM "Core-Plus" VPC Introduction Setup Video . (Check back to the download page on PartnerSource. We will upload additional instructional videos associated with this VPC.)
2. You must utilize the .vmc (virtual machine configuration) files that get extracted with the .vhd (virtual hard disk) files in order for the “Core-Plus” VPC to function correctly.
3. There are two .vmc (Virtual Machine Configuration Files) files and two .vhd (Virtual Hard Disk Files) respectively.
4. We have created a separate Domain Controller VPC that needs to be running simultaneously with the “Core-Plus” VPC in order for this technical demonstration toolkit to function correctly.
5. Please pay close attention to the IMPORTANT INFORMATION folder that gets extracted from the .rar files. (It is also located on the Desktop of the “Core-Plus” VPC
6. The “Core-Plus” VPC is only supported on the Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1 platform. You will not be able to utilize the new Windows7 Virtual PC Platform. (In some cases, you may need to uninstall Windows7 Virtual PC from your laptops as it cannot “Coexist” on the same machine with Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1.
7. The Microsoft Dynamics GP Technical Support Team does NOT provide technical support for VPC’s. If you have a question, please contact your regional Partner Technology Advisor. If you have general feedback regarding the new “CoreMR” VPC, feel free to email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I would like to say a very special thanks to the Microsoft Dynamics ERP/GP Demonstration Toolkit v-team. John Dooley, Lyle Curry, Jason Siever! You all spent countless hours on these new demonstration toolkits. I cannot thank you enough for the hundreds of hours you all put in to make this project a success!! I would also like to thank Corey Davidson’s Microsoft Dynamics GP Technical Support Team for being instrumental in the build process of the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 RTM “Core-Plus” Technical Demonstration Toolkit. In reality, so many people were involved in helping us build these VPC’s! I know I am forgetting some additional team members who helped with this project, so I apologize in advance. Thanks again!
Happy Demoing everyone!
Thanks, Ben Corwin, John Dooley, Lyle Curry and Jason Siever (the GP 2010 VPC v-team)
P.S. As many of you have experienced, the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 BETA images expired on 8/31/10. There is no easy way to reset the expiration date for these virtual machines. You will need to download and utilize “CoreMR” or “Core-Plus” for your immediate demonstrations. Please have your partners download this new Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 RTM “CoreMR” or “Core-Plus” Technical Demonstration Toolkit as soon as possible in order to avoid any demo interruptions!
In addition, many of you asked for a direct link to the GP 2010 “CoreMR” VPC on PartnerSource. Here it is:
This is really good news. Thank you for making BP and workflow available on VPC. This will also be my first look at Office 2010. Great stuff.
The link to download Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 RTM “Core-Plus” VPC PartnerSource Download Page no longer exist. Can someone update. Thank you
This is *FAR* out of date. Please see: mbs.microsoft.com/.../MSDYN_GP2010R2HyperVDemoImageSet
And read some of the newer posts in this blog regarding the new Hyper-V demo.