Well, it's been about 10 days since I received my new desktop replacement, the Lenovo x60 Tablet.

The configuration I got is top-notch, something that I wouldn't be able to afford if I were buying this for strictly personal use. Of course, the first thing I did after unpacking the system was to network-boot to Microsoft's RIS server and clean-install Windows Vista (enterprise) and Office 2007 (enterprise).

Straight out of the box, the x60 impresses. Aero is on, and the performance metrics are decently high. This system rates a 3.1 overall score. The HDD is sprightly, which is especially noticeable when contrasted against the 4200 rpm unit in the x41 I was using. Biometric sensor is not working yet, but that's expected. And the touch digitizer is not working, which is not a surprise, since I know OEMs have to ship their devices with drivers in order for them to work. This situation is unfortunate, but necessary due to circumstances beyond our control.

After installation, the parade of system updates began. At first, I didn't realize that Lenovo makes updating easy by just downloading and running a single System Update utility from their support site. I was manually downloading each update separately. Once I got my head on straight, I ran System Update and just about spit up my drink when I was informed that there were 1.28 *gigabytes* of updates to install. Even if you uncheck the rescue/restore utility that weighed in at 400+MB, that's a hefty amount of updating to do for a clean install.