Analysis Services - Orphaned SIDs cause error "No mappings between account name and security was done"

Analysis Services - Orphaned SIDs cause error "No mappings between account name and security was done"

Rate This
  • Comments 4

When trying to add a user to the administrators role of Analysis Services 2005 or 2008 or 2008R2

 

The following error occurs:

"The following system error occurred: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done. .(Microsft.AnalysisServices)"

 

This can happen when using two common approaches

1. By right clicking on the server name in SQL Server Management Studio Object Explorer, properties, Security tab. Click the [Add...] button.

2. This can also be done in XMLA as follows:

<Batch xmlns='http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine' Transaction='true'>
<Alter AllowCreate="true" ObjectExpansion="ObjectProperties" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine">
<Object />
<ObjectDefinition>
<Server xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:ddl2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine/2" xmlns:ddl2_2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine/2/2" xmlns:ddl100_100="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2008/engine/100/100">
<ID>servername\instance</ID>
<Name>servername\instance</Name>
</Server>
</ObjectDefinition>
</Alter>
<Alter AllowCreate="true" ObjectExpansion="ObjectProperties" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine">
<Object>
<RoleID>Administrators</RoleID>
</Object>
<ObjectDefinition>
<Role xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:ddl2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine/2" xmlns:ddl2_2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine/2/2" xmlns:ddl100_100="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2008/engine/100/100">
<ID>Administrators</ID>
<Name>Administrators</Name>
<Members>
<Member>
<Name>domain\user</Name>
</Member>
</Members>
</Role>
</ObjectDefinition>
</Alter>
</Batch>

 

Error output:

 <return xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis">
  <results xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/xmla-multipleresults">
    <root xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis:empty">
      <Exception xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis:exception" />
      <Messages xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis:exception">
        <Error ErrorCode="3238068224" Description="The following system error occurred:  No mapping between account names and security IDs was done. ." Source="Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services" HelpFile="" />
      </Messages>
    </root>
  </results>
</return>

In the list of administrators that we can see, there are multiple names, but one user is shown with a SID Security Identifier instead of their domain\username. That particular username could not be resolved in the domain controller.

In our case, this was determined to be a user which was deleted from windows, or a user whose profile had been recreated.

 

To Fix it:

Highlight the orphaned SID in the list of users on the "Analysis Server Properties" dialogue on the "Security" pane, and click the Remove button.

Click OK to save the change.

After doing this, you should be able to add new users without error.

Leave a Comment
  • Please add 2 and 1 and type the answer here:
  • Post
  • Thanks. it quickly resolved the issue on my side.

  • I have gotten this error when I added a new group to ad and tried to use it before it had replicated to the sql servers 'local' dc.  once replication caught up, i was fine.

  • Great post.  Fixed my issue.  Thanks!

  • Wow it worked like a charm, thanks a lot man. realy helped alot

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)