I no longer work at Microsoft, so please don't bother leaving a comment here or trying to contact me through my MSDN blog.
You can find my new blog at http://www.technologytoolbox.com/blog/jjameson. My new site also provides copies of all posts from my MSDN blog.
Earlier this week I built a new Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) 2007 development VM using a fresh install of Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008, and Visual Studio 2008. The process wasn't quite as smooth as I had hoped.
One of the issues I encountered occurs when you attempt to go straight from a slipstreamed install of MOSS 2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1) to the December Cumulative Update (CU), bypassing the July Infrastructure Update (IU).
Since the December CU includes the July IU, I thought this would be okay. Unfortunately an SPUpgradeException occurs during the "build-to-build" upgrade:
Upon cracking open the upgrade log file, I found the following:
[SPWebTemplateSequence] [DEBUG] [1/19/2009 6:35:31 AM]: Template OSRV#0: Activating site-collection-scoped features...
[SPWebTemplateSequence] [DEBUG] [1/19/2009 6:35:31 AM]: Template OSRV#0: Activating feature 2b1e4cbf-b5ba-48a4-926a-37100ad77dee in site collection with URL "http://ssp-public-local/ssp/admin", force=False.
[SPWebTemplateSequence] [ERROR] [1/19/2009 6:35:31 AM]: Template OSRV#0: Exception thrown in activating SPSite scoped features for SPSite with URL "http://ssp-public-local/ssp/admin" (Id=9774ded8-a54e-49e7-b010-7f741446e28f). Skipping this SPSite for template upgrade. Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Feature '2b1e4cbf-b5ba-48a4-926a-37100ad77dee' is not installed in this farm, and can not be added to this scope.
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.AddInternal(Guid featureId, SPFeaturePropertyCollection properties, Boolean force, Boolean fMarkOnly)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.Add(Guid featureId, Boolean force)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPWebTemplateSequence.ActivateSiteFeatures(List`1 lstsiteidToUpgrade, List`1& lstsiteidExceptions, List`1& lstwebinfoExceptions)
Notice that it is complaining about a feature not being installed on the farm. This feature ('2b1e4cbf-b5ba-48a4-926a-37100ad77dee') is actually the new "S2SearchAdmin" interface included in the July IU that substantially improves the Search Administration pages. Assuming you didn't install the July IU separately (which on this brand new VM, I had not), you need to explicitly install the new features first:
Once the new features are installed, the upgrade goes without a hitch:
It turns out there are several other gotchas when working with SharePoint on Windows Server 2008. However, given the length of this post, I think I'll blog about those separately ;-)