Some time ago we had Scott Mitchell create THIS GREAT SET OF DATA ACCESS TUTORIALS
I've had lots of requests to record video versions of Scott's tutorials. (Scott already did all the hard work :)
I thought you all would prefer this I use SQLExpress which does not come with SQL Express.
You can get SQL Express here: http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/default.aspx
To get Northwind for SQL Express.....
1) Navigate to the following URL and lick the Download button - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=06616212-0356-46a0-8da2-eebc53a68034&displaylang=en
2) Complete the download and install process. This places the necessary files for Northwind (and Pubs) into the "c:\Sql Server 2000 Sample Databases" folder.
3) Open a command window. (Go to Start, Run, type Command and click OK)
4) Change the directory to the sample databases (type: cd c:\SQL Server Sample Databases)
5) Type or paste the following into the command window replacing computerName with the actual name of your computer:
osql -E -S computerName/SqlExpress -i instnwnd.sql
6) now go to VS and create a data connection using the computerName\sqlexpress as the Server name in the Add Connection dialog. The Northwind database should now be available.
Or, you can just drag Northwind.mdf & .ldf and drop them into your App_Data Folder
Then you're ready to start the tutorials. (The videos will take me a while :)