In addition to native libraries, I also work on our connectivity technology, specifically the pieces that get us initially connected to the emulator, so the rest of the connectivity stack can then be deployed to it.  Today I believe I got the final pieces of duct tape applied to this for the MDC build.  It's not perfect and there are cases were folks may have to try twice to get something deployed or get debugging to start on the first attempt to start or re-connect to the emulator, but hopefully it will always work after a retry or two.  We know what the right implementation is to make the scenario robust; however, we just didn't have time to get it in for the MDC build.

We also discovered that our basic app wizard (i.e. just WinMain and some Win32 API calls) wasn't doing the right thing for PocketPC 2003 and Smartphone 2003, and that I may have cut a few Impl classes from ATL that are required for creating ActiveX controls (I admit, I've never actually created an ActiveX control myself, and I have some ignorance with respect to ActiveX controls).  We dropped the ball big time on these two, and I am currently burning the midnight oil trying to get the first issue straightened out.

Overall, our incoming defect rate is also higher then our fix rate, which is never a fun place to be.  Fortunately most of the defects are not regressions, but area of new coverage, but in the next few days, we will most likely have to make some hard decisions in the next few days on what scenarios will have to be put off until Beta 1.  We want everything to work, so we can feedback, but there are only so many ours in a day.

Josh Heitzman
Software Design Engineer
Microsoft - Visual Studio for Devices

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.