This post is for those that are pretty familiar with the TFS Build features in Visual Studio. If you aren't, this may not make any sense.
So, it's Friday and you just made a gated check-in, but you can't leave until your build finishes. So, you open up the build details view and stare at it as it updates automatically polling the server every 10 seconds (or so). Suddenly, you realize that 10 seconds is too short. The window is constantly flickering. So you want to change the value to 30 seconds (and hit F5 to refresh the window yourself :)). You can actually affect this interval and many other things in TFS Build. Here is a quick explanation and a list of all the things you can influence.
1) Go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\TeamFoundation"
2) Add a key (if not already there) of "Build"
3) Select the Build key
4) Add a key (if not already there) of "UISettings"
5) Select the UISettings key
6) Add a DWORD value. Name it "ReportPollingInterval". And give it a value of 30000 (30 seconds in milliseconds).
7) Close and reopen Visual Studio to make sure it reads the new value.
That will change the polling time of the build report to 30 seconds.
And here is a list of other values you may want to change:
We will continue to add to this list as we have need. These values are not shown in the UI because most users probably don't need to adjust them. But I know you. If you have read this far, you have probably already changed one of them ;)