Our Team Foundation Server (TFS) cube has been running just fine. But a couple of days ago, right after we updated the passwords on the service account, it stopped updating the cube. Here I’ll briefly describe how I found the problem, and also what appears to be the fix.
In order to find the problem, I downloaded the Admin Report Pack and installed the Cube Status report. You can find much more information on this report in Grant Holliday’s post: Administrative Report Pack for Team Foundation Server 2010.
When I ran this report, I saw error messages like this:
[Incremental Analysis Database Sync]: AnalysisDatabaseProcessingType=Full, needCubeSchemaUpdate=True. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.WarehouseException: TF221122: An error occurred running job Incremental Analysis Database Sync for team project collection or Team Foundation server TEAM FOUNDATION. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.WarehouseException: Failed to Process Analysis Database 'Tfs_Analysis'. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.WarehouseException: Internal error: The operation terminated unsuccessfully. OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.; 08001; Client unable to establish connection; 08001; Encryption not supported on the client.; 08001. Errors in the high-level relational engine. A connection could not be made to the data source with the DataSourceID of 'Tfs_AnalysisDataSource', Name of 'Tfs_AnalysisDataSource'.
It seems to indicate that there is a network-related issue. However, all we did was change the password on the service accounts running TFS and SSAS.
Here is what I did:
After that, everything started to work just fine. I then set the service account back to the domain account, using the updated password, and everything is continuing to run correctly. What I didn’t try, and what may work just fine, is to simply restart the Analysis Services service. If I run into this error again, I’ll try that fix (I’ve had reports from some other people that restarting the service is enough to fix this problem).
Thanks for this post
I tried same workarround before I found your this link to fix issue on my server and it looks somewhat simmilar to your probelm.
I gues changeing service account will work in this situations, only the things we need to check what else may affect by changing service account. I also dont have much detailed Idea of this.
We are facing the same Issue .
In our case the service account TFSREPORTS got Locked.We ve unlocked the service account and Rebuilt from Admin console we got the same error.
We were alredy running the SQL Server Analysis services with Local System.
Then we tried by changeing the service account for Reporting configureation from Admin console and rebuilt also got same error.
Then we tried changing the SQL Server Analyis service from Local System To Netwrok Service account that also dosnt work for us.
Can you please state what we are missing in our case.
I had a similar issue but I can confirm that without doing anything else a restart of SSAS fixed this issue.
Confirming that I did the same as DG and that solved my problems (if only I'd seen that comment sooner!)
I confirm same issue same solution but no explaination
Experienced the same issue. Copied cube to lower landscape to test possible connection issues. The connection worked just fine. Then we restarted SSAS in the production environment which alleviated the issue. Didn't really need to copy the cube to a lower landscape but we were troubleshooting.
I too had this issue while editing the bim in Visual Studio. Restart of my working database solved this.
Thanks John. I was going crazy with the issue where I was getting OLE DB or DB Error: specified module was not found. You suggestion worked.. Thanks heaps.
You solved our problem just now. Thank you!
This post helped solve a problem we were working for serveral weeks.. Thank you!!!
Thanks, I had already tried changing my connection provider to OLE DB and restarting the SSAS service but neither of those helped. Using a local system account solved the problem.