Matt Tavis told us what is new in remoting in .Net 2.0 in a newgroup post.
Here is a list of high-level features for remoting in Whidbey (.NET
- IpcChannel - This is a same-box cross-process channel, which avoids the
reliance on a network stack a la Tcp and Http Channels.
- Secure TcpChannel - TcpChannel now support encryption, signing and
authentication via new underlying SSPI APIs in System.Net
- Version Tolerant Serialization - more a serialization feature but this
allows for versioning of types without worrying about failing to
de/serialize when communicating with older versions on the client/server.
- Generics support - Full use of generics is supported in remoting
- IPv6 support - Supports IPv6 addresses
- Connection cache control for TcpChannel - this allows the control of the
connection cache timeout to better support load-balancing scenarios with
XML Web Services