In this page I would be discussing various options on offer for WSS 3.0 with TFS 2005 & TFS 2008.
How to setup Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 using a content database upgrade from WSS 2.0 to WSS 3.0 after a Team Foundation Server 2005 to 2008 Upgrade
Scenario: TFS 2008 upgrade process does not upgrade WSS 2.0 to WSS 3.0. Customer who want to take advantage of WSS 3.0 after they upgrade TFS 2005 to TFS 2008 would have the following options:
1. Do an in place upgrade of WSS 2.0 to WSS3.0: The procedure is documented at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc507614.aspx .
2. Upgrade of WSS 2.0 to WSS 3.0 by upgrading the content database from WSS 2.0 to WSS 3.0. This document will detail out the required steps/procedures. One of the other objectives that this document also achieve & which is similar to what an in place upgrade does is to remove WSS 2.0 from the box & make sure that WSS 3.0 is set to use the same port numbers as the WSS 2.0 from a TFS usage point of view.
The side by side upgrade process would involve the following tasks:
1. Take a full back up of the STS_Content_TFS data base. Please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms253070(VS.80).aspx for procedures to back up databases.
2. Download the WSS 3.0 PreScan tool from the download center:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8a00b1f-6f45-42cd-8e56-e62c20feb2f1&DisplayLang=en
3. Open a command prompt windows & change to the folder where you have downloaded the pre-scan tool. Run the pre-scan tool as: PreScan /ALL
4. Unextend WSS 2.0 from the default web site:
a) Open IIS Manager(Start->Administrative Tools->Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager).
b) Browse the SharePoint Central Administration site.
c) Under Virtual Server Configuration, select Configure Virtual Server Settings.
d) On the Virtual Server List page, click Default Web Site.
e) On the Virtual Server Settings page, click Remove Windows SharePoint Services from virtual server.
f) On the Remove Windows SharePoint Services from virtual server page, select Remove and delete content databases. You will be prompted with a dialog box with the message “You have chosen to remove Windows SharePoint Services from this virtual server, and delete the content databases. This action permanently removes any existing Web site information and content. Do you wish to continue?”, Click Ok. Click Ok Again.
5. Close IIS.
6. Uninstall WSS 2.0 from Add/Remove Programs.
7. Install WSS 3.0 (with SP1 preferably). You can obtain WSS 3.0 with SP1 at:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=EF93E453-75F1-45DF-8C6F-4565E8549C2A&displaylang=en
a) Run SharePoint.exe.
b) Accept the terms of Agreement & click Continue.
c) Click Advanced in the Choose the installation you want dialog.
d) Select Web Front End as the Server Type, confirm the installation location & click Install Now.
e) Once the installation is complete, make sure the check box for Run the SharePoint Products & Technologies Configuration Wizard is selected & click Close.
8. Complete the SharePoint Products & Technologies Wizard to set up the WSS 3.0 central admin site & WSS 3.0 services on the box.
a) Click Next on the Welcome page.
b) Click Yes to allow the Wizard to Restart IIS & WSS services.
c) In the Connect to a server farm dialog, select No, I want to create a new server farm & click Next.
d) In the Specify Configuration Database Settings dialog box, give the SQL Instance name for your TFS, WSS_Config as the database name & the Domain\TFSService account name & password & click Next.
e) In the Configure SharePoint Central Administration Web Application dialog, check Specify port number & provide 17012 as the port number for WSS Central Administration site. Make sure that authentication provider is set to NTLM(which is the default selection) & click Next.
f) In the Completing the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard dialog, confirm the settings & click Next.
g) Once the wizard has successfully completed, click Finish. This would open up the WSS 3.0 Central Administration site.
9. Create a Web Application & extend the Default Web Site with WSS 3.0.
a) Click Application Management tab in WSS 3.0 Central Administration site.
b) In Application Management tab, under SharePoint Web Application Management, click Create or extend Web application.
c) In the Create or Extend Web application page, click Create a new Web application.
d) In Create New Web Application page, select Use an existing IIS web site & select Default Web Site in the drop down list. In Application Pool settings, ensure that Create a new application pool option is selected & give TFSWSS30 as the name of the new application pool. Ensure that Configurable option is selected & give the Domain\TFSService account as the service account for the application pool. Ensure that Restart IIS automatically is selected. In the Database Server give the SQL Server instance name for TFS 2008. Give WSS_Content_Temp as the Database Name. Click OK to create the new web application with the default web site extened in WSS 3.0.
10. Upgrade the STS_Content_TFS database from WSS 2.0 to WSS 3.0 & attach it to the default web site. To do this open a command prompt window & change to the folder %Program Files%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN. Run the following command:stsadm –o addcontentdb –url http://<AppTierName> –databasename STS_Content_TFSDelete the temporary content database using the command:
stsadm –o deletecontentdb –url http://<AppTierName> –databasename WSS_Content_Temp
11. Install TFS 2008 extensions for WSS 3.0 from <TFS Installation Location>\wssext folder by running the setup.exe. At the end of installation, after you have clicked Finish, you would be prompted with the dialog box for the WSS 3.0 web part configuration. Provide the http://ATName/sites as the WSS site, http://ATName/Reports as the reports site & http://ATName/ReportServer for the reporting services administrative site & click Apply. Click Exit.
12. Connect to Team Foundation Server using Team Explorer & verify connectivity.