Or at least it's capabilities.  For years I've struggled with, and invented, and fudged, and jury-rigged, many ways to deal with and track project information.  We have a status report InfoPath form in a Sharepoint library, and each Monday I read each project status for the week, and compile it to a separate spreadsheet and status report.  This week I gave in to my feeling that there must be a better way, and spent a day digging into InfoPath, and how I could surface information from the status in the library views.  I ended up adding a couple of fields to the form to allow us to group status in different way (there's still not an easy way in Sharepoint  to filter documents in a relative date range, so I added a "WeekOf" field), and then an internal type grouping field), and created views which allow me, and everyone else at MDSN, to check current project status at a glance.  It's so exactly what I need.

My mind has been spinning with possibility.  I also created a form this week for requesting new projects, and spent my Saturday morning tweaking it (adding validation, conditional fields and the like).  I had to be reminded at dinner tonight that not everyone was interested (luckily my partner is, at least to a point) in the opportunities provided by the InfoPath/Sharepoint combination.  I can't wait to finish up and roll out the new form, and also I can't wait to update the status report InfoPath form to use a secondary data source, xml of course, to feed my drop-down lists.  Woo hoo, this standardization of project names will allow me to connect with other data sources like bug stats, and give me a way to comapre the current lists of projects with what's in the library to make sure we've gotten status for each one.  It should also allow me to work towards a file name standardization by suggesting a filename that combines project name and date for saving to the library.