Table hierarchies is a new concept introduced in ax2012.
It allows the ax developer to have elements that conceptually share same fields\properties to extend the same table.
this is how you create a table hierarchy
a) create the parent table
1) create a table
2) set the following properties on the table 'support inheritance = yes'
3) create an int64 field, name the field 'instancerelationtype'
4) set the following properties on the table 'instancerelationtype= instancerelationtype'
b) create childtable1
2) set the following properties on the table 'supports inheritance = yes' 'extends = <parenttablename>'
repeat to create childtable2
now you have a table hierarchy with 1parent and 2children
note the following:
1) now when you create a record in one of the children table, you get a record in the parent table
2) if you try to create a record in the parent table, you will be prompted to select a record type from the children tables
3) in order for tables to participate in table hierarchies, they need to have no fields
4)in order for tables to leave hierarchies or change hierarchy structures, they need to have no fields and no children.
All my posts and articles are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights. Use of included samples are subject to the terms specified at Microsoft.