This blog posting applies to Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007.
Often, a request comes to customize some of the text that SharePoint displays. And often, that text is stored in one of SharePoint's resource files, so it's just a matter of finding the right one. But I've noticed that Windows explorer doesn't do a very good job of searching inside *.resx files. In fact it behaves as though it just skips these files. Of course, you can open the resx files in Visual Studio to search them, but they appear in many different directories, so it can be a bit of a headache just to get them all opened.
After needing to do this for about the 30th time, I decided to make searchable copies of SharePoint's resx files... easy enough, just save them all as xml. For your convenience, here they are in one zip file.