We’re pleased to announce that Exam Ref 70-417: Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012 (ISBN 9780735673045) ,by JC Mackin, has shipped to the printer.
Prepare for Exam 70-417—and help demonstrate your real-world mastery of Windows Server 2012 core infrastructure services. Microsoft Exam 70-417 is an upgrade exam that is a composite of three standalone exams: 70-410, 70-411, and 70-412. Exam 70-417 validates skills related to the core technology features and functionality of Windows Server 2012, from the existing knowledge base of a Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) on Windows Server 2008.
The Exam Ref is organized by exam objectives and features challenging, what-if scenarios that focus on the critical skills and knowledge measured by the certification exam.
You can preorder the book here and here.
Take a look at the book’s Contents at at glance and Introduction.
CHAPTER 1 Install and configure servers CHAPTER 2 Configure server roles and features CHAPTER 3 Configure Hyper-V CHAPTER 4 Install and administer Active Directory CHAPTER 5 Deploy, manage, and maintain servers CHAPTER 6 Configure network services and access CHAPTER 7 Configure a network policy server infrastructure CHAPTER 8 Configure and manage Active Directory CHAPTER 9 Configure and manage Group Policy CHAPTER 10 Configure and manage high availability CHAPTER 11 File and storage solutions CHAPTER 12 Implement business continuity and disaster recovery CHAPTER 13 Configure network services CHAPTER 14 Configure identity and access solutions
This book is written for IT professionals who want to earn the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certification by passing the Microsoft exam “Exam 70-417: Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012.” Exam 70-417 serves as a path to the Windows Server 2012 MCSA for those who have already earned the Windows Server 2008 certification that is named alternately “MCITP: Server Administrator” and “MCSA: Windows Server 2008.” The book is therefore written specifically for IT professionals who have already earned this Windows Server 2008 certification and maintain the associated level of expertise in Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2.
Exam 70-417 also serves as an upgrade path to the Windows Server 2012 MCSA from certifications other than the Windows Server 2008 MCSA. These other certifications include MCITP: Virtualization Administrator, MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator, MCITP: Lync Server Administrator, MCITP: SharePoint Administrator, and MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator certifications. However, the assumed knowledge for this book is only MCSA-level expertise in Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2.
One of the first things you need to understand about Exam 70-417 is that it is a condensed version of three others: Exam 70-410, Exam 70-411, and Exam 70-412. This set of three exams allows you to earn the Windows Server 2012 MCSA from scratch, without any prior certification.
Together, these three exams include 18 domains of broader skills and 62 more specific objectives. Because the exams are intended for people who haven’t yet earned Windows Server certification, they test both new features in Windows Server 2012 and features that haven’t changed since Windows Server 2008 or even earlier.
On the 70-417 exam, just 14 of the original 18 domains and 22 of the original 62 objectives have been taken from these three source exams. This smaller subset of material corresponds generally to the features that are new in Windows Server 2012. Approximately 80 percent of the questions you will encounter on the 70-417 exam in fact will involve new Windows Server 2012 features in some way. The remaining 20 percent will be “review”-type questions about features that have not changed since Windows Server 2008, questions you could have seen when you earned your existing certification. This 20 percent can be taken from any of the 62 original objectives on Exams 70-410, 70-411, or 70-412.
To keep this book brief, we’ve focused on the 80 percent of material that is new to Windows Server 2012 and that forms the core of Exam 70-417. After all, the remaining 20 percent draws on knowledge in which you have already demonstrated expertise by earning your Windows Server 2008 certification. However, it’s possible you will need to brush up on some of these older topics, and when appropriate we’ve provided guidance throughout the book about which of these older features might require special review.
This book covers every exam objective, but it does not cover every exam question. Only the Microsoft exam team has access to the exam questions themselves and Microsoft regularly adds new questions to the exam, making it impossible to cover specific questions. You should consider this book a supplement to your relevant real-world experience and other study materials. If you encounter a topic in this book with which you do not feel completely comfortable, use the links you’ll find in the text to find more information and take the time to research and study the topic. Great information is available on MSDN, TechNet, and in blogs and forums.
Microsoft certifications distinguish you by proving your command of a broad set of skills and experience with current Microsoft products and technologies. The exams and corresponding certifications are developed to validate your mastery of critical competencies as you design and develop, or implement and support, solutions with Microsoft products and technologies both on-premise and in the cloud. Certification brings a variety of benefits to the individual and to employers and organizations.
Microsoft certification exams are a great way to build your resume and let the world know about your level of expertise. Certification exams validate your on-the-job experience and product knowledge. While there is no substitution for on-the-job experience, preparation through study and hands-on practice can help you prepare for the exam. We recommend that you round out your exam preparation plan by using a combination of available study materials and courses. For example, you might use the Training Kit and another study guide for your "at home" preparation, and take a Microsoft Official Curriculum course for the classroom experience. Choose the combination that you think works best for you.
This set of three exams allows you to earn the Windows Server 2012 MCSA from scratch, without any prior certification.
According to www.microsoft.com/.../exam.aspx that statement is not true...
Read carefully, please:
Exam 70-410, Exam 70-411, and Exam 70-412. This SET OF THREE EXAMS allows you to earn the Windows Server 2012 MCSA from scratch, without any prior certification.
Ups, sorry. Gota pay more attention before posting.
Thanks for the correction UnZipych
I am MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator, can I take this 1 exam and become MCSA Server 2012?
@Anand - Yes you can upgrade your skills to MCSA 2012, You have to pass 70-417 which consists 3 exams in one set.
Does this come with the ebook and exam simulator? If not is one planned?