September, 2005

Posts
  • Michaeljon Miller

    RSS and CRM - a little history

    • 1 Comments

    Wow, just over a week since MS-CRM hit the big time and showed up on stage during a PDC keynote. That’s pretty cool. So, how did it get there? Well, the product is really cool and might have made it up there on its own merit. But then again, this is a PDC, not TechEd (and some of us are still laughing about ANY business application on stage).

    It got up there because we had a lot of spirited discussion in the weeks and months leading up to PDC and the Business Summit about what would change in the world if we could democratize data. That is, could we do something that would unlock a company’s business data in a controlled way that could also make the entire supply chain work better.

    What initially came out of those discussions was that CRM had a pile of cool technologies available that at least enable us to start exposing the data. Everything is exposed using web services (and yes, the V3 web services address all of the V1.x problems), it’s secure, and we’ve got a reasonably decent query definition and execution environment (CRMQuery and <fetch>).

    We needed to take the next step which was to think through scenarios where access to subscription data was useful and to think about what a subscription was (in terms of business data). What we decided to do was leverage the query definition and execution services to generate a list of “interesting data”. Since queries themselves are secured objects in CRM we were able to ride on that security model to only allow access to specific queries (both access and the ability to execute a query is constrained).

    Once we had that the next step was to look at what we could do to expose the underlying query results. Sure, we could have just given the caller the XML. Or we could have generated HTML. Or, just slightly better, we could have provided the XML with an XSL stylesheet. All those ideas were good, but they weren’t good enough. Instead, we converted the query results into a reasonably standard, well-supported, and well-understood protocol – RSS.

    We took stock RSS, added in support for list extensions, and sprinkled in a few other goodies (watch for these in upcoming entries and in the final release) to generate a deployment-specific, partner-specific feed. Each feed honors the deployment’s configuration metadata (custom entities, entity and attribute names, display values) and the calling user’s privileges and rights.

    Sorry, but I don’t really have a witty wrap-up for this. There’s a lot more to the feed generator than I’m letting on about. You’ll have to wait to see the other cool stuff we’re doing with it.

  • Michaeljon Miller

    How to add an "auto number" to a CRM entity

    • 1 Comments

    Warning: unsupported territory ahead

    Adding an “auto-number” field to MS-CRM is one of those features that has been requested several times. The problem is that there isn’t a solution that really meets everyone’s needs. I was asked during V3 to come up with a way to do this for an internal customer (actually, our development team) to track an ever-increasing number on customer issues. This was something that we needed so badly that we opened a DCR against ourselves to see if we could get it into the product. No dice.

    However, there is an unsupported way to do this, much like there are unsupported ways to do many things. Here’s the way I put this together for our internal site. Note that this will only work once on a table and only if the table doesn’t already have an IDENTITY column (I don’t remember adding any IDENTITY columns in the V1.x databases, but one might have slipped by).

    First, use Deployment Manager to add a new number attribute to your target entity (let’s call it myCounter). Once you’ve done this you should have a column named CFN_myCounter on the base table and in the entity view.

    Next, find this attribute definition in the metadata. You’ll want to tweak the ValidForCreateAPI and ValidForUpdateAPI bits to 0 so you don’t accidentally supply a value from outside of the platform. This will also give you a read-only attribute on the form. Also, keep in mind that this attribute won’t have a value in the database until after the row is committed the first time. This means the edit control on the form will be empty until a Save operation (which calls CreateAndRetrieve).

    Almost there. Next you need to drop the physical column from the underlying table (this might require some tweaks with replication which means you might need to use sp_repldropcolumn and sp_repladdcolumn instead). So,

    ALTER TABLE FooBase DROP COLUMN CFN_myCounter

    Then, turn around and recreate that column, but this time specify that the column is a non-NULL IDENTITY,

    ALTER TABLE FooBase ADD CFN_myCounter INT IDENTITY NOT NULL

    Finally, go add the attribute to the form, republish, and do all the other stuff we make you do in V1.x when you do a customization.

    As usual, you’re mucking with the physical database here. This will likely break in a V3 upgrade (because we won’t migrate the IDENTITY information to the extension table). If you do this, you’re on your own, but you won’t have problems with callouts locking transactions, hotspots in a counter table, and all the other problems that might come up.

    I haven’t tried this on a 1.x deployment (recently) so I can’t vouch for the correctness of the solution. I recommend backing up both your primary and metadata databases before starting with something like this (but then I recommend that even when you’re doing supported things).

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)